Starting Tuesday, the Detroit Lions will open a three-day minicamp where there will be some evolving storylines to keep an eye on.
For starters, starters are missing. Damon ‘Snacks’ Harrison and Darius Slay have yet to show up for OTAs as both players have expressed a desire for new contracts. Missing mandatory minicamp comes with some decent fines, but that may not be strong enough to sway the players one way or the other. Over the weekend, Harrison tweeted out something rather mysterious that an explanation is not too far off in the distance:
In due time all of my actions including how I ended up being traded will be explained...but for now I’ll let the speculations continue. Major news coming soon though!!— Damon Harrison Sr. (@snacks) June 1, 2019
Meanwhile, you’ve got a backup quarterback race to watch between Connor Cook and Tom Savage. Tim Twentyman with the all-time Savage quote regarding Matthew Stafford: “The guy has played a crap-ton more football than Connor (Cook) and I combined, but it’s always good to have a second or third pair of eyes out there.”
Then there’s implementing the new offense, as tight end T.J. Hockenson finds his footing in the league, and Graham Glasgow and Frank Ragnow switch up positions. Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones haven’t been able to practice due to injuries.
The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett goes on with a few more things to look out for here, and you can check out Justin Rogers’ piece here.
- Matt Patricia joins the Pat McAfee Show on Tuesday. You may remember the former Colts punter turned Internet/TV star from his NFL broadcasting debut calling the Lions-Packers regular-season finale, and absolutely loving Matt Prater’s TD pass. Here’s a little preview from his IG:
View this post on Instagram
When life gives you lemons... you should ask why didn’t life give me a much better tasting fruit.. but when life gives you a 3 hour layover in Detroit.. you try and make some magic. So lucky that we didn’t end up like dumb Tom Hanks in that terminal movie. Tomorrow’s interview with @detroitlionsnfl head coach Matt Patricia is INCREDIBLE.. and the ability to make it happen was documented by handsome @evan_fox.. In the comments below, write a review on how you think the interview went.. best response in @maraldo412’s eyes, wins some free merch.. Be excited for tomorrow’s podcast, it’s a goody... Let’s GOOOO
- Zach Zenner is hosting his first football skills and wellness camp for kids in Detroit. Here’s some info:
“Each one hour session will include a thorough warm-up, important exercises for developing speed, football drills, and a nutrition and faith talk. The warm-up and exercises will be led by a trainer from Michigan Elite Conditioning for Athletes (MECA) in Novi. With some help from Lawrence Tech University football players we will then work through the football drills. Finally, I will finish up the hour session with a talk about nutrition and my faith in Jesus Christ.”
- Pro Football Focus says the Lions can improve on batted passes, and Trey Flowers can likely help with that.
An area for improvement in 2018 for the defense, the #Lions only had 2 batted passes at the line of scrimmage. The fewest in the league— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) June 1, 2019
Trey Flowers had 2 himself all last season#OnePride
- Marcus Mosher of the RaidersWire re-drafted the entire NFL heading into the 2019 season, with the Lions selecting Philly’s Carson Wentz at 8 and Washington selecting Matthew Stafford at 15.
- I feel like all my notes will always involve Snacks. Here he is, grading himself on basketball skills. Peep that intangibles score:
Grade yourself in ball ‼️ be honest— Damon Harrison Sr. (@snacks) June 2, 2019
Mid Range: B+
3PT Shot: A
Free Throw: B+
Archetype: Shot Creating Sharp
Offensive IQ: A+
Defensive IQ: B+
- Came across Bleacher Nation Bears tweet: “If the NFC North is decided by a chugging contest, the @ChicagoBears got this on lock.”
If the NFC North is decided by a chugging contest, the @ChicagoBears got this on lock. @packers @Vikings @Lions— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) June 1, 2019
: @Ky1eLong pic.twitter.com/gafplqk0p2
After watching Aaron Rodgers struggle to chug a beer, Matthew Stafford decided to teach him a lesson.— theScore (@theScore) May 24, 2019
( : IG/kbstafford89) pic.twitter.com/hLxmoTsECy
KING OF THE NORTH.