Who’s ready for fantasy football? The time to get your draft info together and start prepping for your championship run is nearly upon us. With that in mind, who are you thinking about drafting?
If you’re me, you can’t help but be a slight homer. Of course my mind immediately goes to wanting to see the guys I saw working at training camp and got excited about. Despite the hazing I get, I always take multiple Detroit Lions in my fantasy drafts. I’ll do it again this year without hesitation.
I do this because:
- Everyone else is always afraid of being called a homer
- Everyone thinks the Lions suck
- Everyone is into taking name-brand players regardless of their current level of contribution
So with that in mind, I was somewhat scared to see that Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport listed Kerryon Johnson in his top 10 most important fantasy players of 2019. Not only did they list him, he was the cover play of the story.
There goes my running back selection in August. Here’s what they had to say.
“Landing a tailback a bit later who has the potential to become a top-10 fantasy producer can make all the difference,” Davenport wrote. “It’s the kind of pick that wins leagues.”
In 2019, Kerryon Johnson of the Detroit Lions is that sort of running back.
C.J. Anderson and Theo Riddick will see some touches, but this is Johnson’s show. If he can come close to repeating his per-touch effectiveness, a top-10 season’s a real possibility.”
- Some may like him and others may truly dislike much of his opinions and coverage, but Sports illustrated’s Andy Benoit puts together some really nice film work sometimes. Today he dropped a video on Twitter explaining what makes Darius Slay a premier corner. Take a look.
- Speaking of videos, Football Gameplan did an extensive 25 minute deep dive into the Lions to preview the 2019 season. They talk about everything under the sun including fantasy, betting and what to expect during the season. Unfortunately, their predictions are going to upset you. Still, it’s a good video if you have the time.
- Trey Flowers went back to his hometown of Huntsville, Alabama to give back to kids at the Inner City Learning Center this week. He also spent time with the kids teaching them important life lessons.
- Are the Lions the most forgotten team in the NFL? Well, yeah, Lions fans know that. Some fans want that trend to continue. Well that may not happen much longer. “Good Morning Football” wondered this week if the Lions will be the biggest surprise team of the NFL.
- The Lions continue to do great stuff for the kids of the community. They recently paired up with United Diary to welcome PlayWorks Detroit, an organization that helps kids from low income schools develop social skills and stay safe through play, into Ford Field to play games all day. Truly a great time for a great program. But most of all for the kids.
@PlayworksDET squad had the priveldge of playing games with LOTS of kids on ford field. Thank you Detroit Lions & United Dairy for inviting us along! #convoyoflove @Playworks pic.twitter.com/fFqhBcfIHQ— brigette wright (@brigettepwright) July 9, 2019
- Lions players whipped up their best impressions of teammates, and OH MAN, you have to see Graham Glasgow’s impression of Frank Ragnow: