Hoooooboy, I knew this was going to be an interesting collection of notes today, so I tried to pick some stuff that would make you feel a little better.
Despite a rough Sunday afternoon that ended in a 27-27 tie with the Arizona Cardinals, several Detroit Lions players looked pretty dang good.
The @PFF grades from Week 1 are live!— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) September 9, 2019
Here are the highest graded #Lions on offense:
1. TE T.J. Hockenson- 83.0
T-2. G Joe Dahl- 70.4
T-2. WR Danny Amendola- 70.4
4. WR Marvin Jones Jr.- 67.2
5. G Graham Glasgow- 64.9#OnePride pic.twitter.com/uX0U8Qowql
Pro Football Focus ranked T.J. Hockenson, duh, as the highest graded Lion on offense at 83. He set an NFL record for a rookie tight end’s debut—six catches for 131 yards and a touchdown. Next up, Joe Dahl and Danny Amendola tied at 70.4
Here are the highest graded #Lions on defense:— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) September 9, 2019
1. S Tracy Walker- 81.2
2. DI A'Shawn Robinson- 79.5
3. CB Rashaan Melvin- 76.9
T-4. EDGE Devon Kennard- 72.7
T-4. DI Mike Daniels- 72.7 pic.twitter.com/CfrMtX0vyr
At 81.2, Tracy Walker was the highest graded on defense, followed by A’Shawn Robinson and Rashaan Melvin. Along with nine tackles and two passes defended, Walker had a beautiful pick in the first:
You can find a full article on the game by the PFF analysis team right here.
As for the rest of your notes:
- OK this one isn’t nice but it’s kinda funny. “The timeout.” as I’m calling it, was ranked number one in the “12 dumbest mistakes from a preseason-like Sunday in NFL Week 1”.
- Great immediate postgame from FOX 2 (best news station in the world, IMO) with Hockenson. Quote of the century just before the one minute mark.
- Shawn Windsor from the Detroit Free Press on why you shouldn’t panic just yet.
- Interesting: A look at how many times the Lions have played to a tie from K102.5 of Kalamazoo.
- From a few days ago but just stumbled upon a column by Arizona Republic’s Greg Moore, who grew up in Detroit: “Mitch Albom should have broken the ‘Curse of George Plimpton’ that’s vexing Detroit Lions.” It’s ... something.
- In case you missed it, my friend Brian Manzullo with the Freep tweeted a very fitting Bojack quote after the game:
FINAL: The Lions Lions’d, the Cardinals Cardinals’d, everyone’s unhappy and it’s all okay because one day the Earth will get swallowed by the sun and nothing will ever exist ever again— Detroit Free Press (@freep) September 9, 2019
Someone needs a beer... pic.twitter.com/JWRqZdkR2x— Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) September 9, 2019
- I don’t think the audio’s up yet, but an article from 97.1 The Ticket with comments from Mike Valenti. “”(Patricia) looks homeless on a crutch with a pencil behind his ear for a notepad that he doesn’t own.”