At first, the reaction was understandably disappointed. Matt Patricia got another one of “his guys” and it looked like he simply got someone who will execute the game plan that will be set by the coaching staff already in place.
But is there a chance Undlin is something more than that? He only worked alongside Patricia once, and he’s seen a lot of different kind of defenses since then. It’s obviously Patricia’s defense, but could Undlin bring some different ideas and tactics to the defense? Is he the kind of person that may challenge him?
We tackle all of that in the first segment of our mid-week First Byte podcast. After that, we switch back to draft talk and give our thoughts on the new, hot name: Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons. Also, we introduce a new, recurring segment.
Check out all that and more on our minipodcast.
This week on the PODcast:
- How have our opinion changed on Undlin from the minute the news dropped until now?
- We go over Undlin’s resume, including the defensive minds he’s worked alongside.
- Was getting a “player’s coach” important to offset Patricia’s hard-nosed demeanor?
- We all know the Eagles struggles in the secondary over the past two years, but there were some success stories.
- Introducing our new tongue-in-cheek segment: TUA TALK!
- Isaiah Simmons is getting a lot of hype, but does he fit in Detroit? If so, where?