If you’re like me, you probably weren’t giving the 2020 Pro Bowl any attention on Sunday afternoon. As if the game itself wasn’t uninteresting enough, the death of Kobe Bryant just hours before kickoff grabbed the attention of most, making the all-star game seem even more irrelevant than ever.
However, the game went on, and apparently Detroit Lions wide receiver Kenny Golladay had himself quite a game. Though he only had three catches on the day, he turned those into 109 receiving yards, more than anyone else on either team.
The Detroit Lions highlighted all three of his catches, and there were some neat ones. Check it out:
Kenny making plays at the Pro Bowl!@kgxix #ProBowl pic.twitter.com/StVt62RAyk— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 28, 2020
Golladay’s first catch was on a nasty double move in which the Lions receiver completely burns Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey, who was not only a Pro Bowler but a first-team All Pro this year.
On his next catch, he caught a pass from in-division rival Davante Adams on a double-pass play. And on the final play, he caught a laser from Kirk Cousins in between two defenders.
His performance wasn’t enough to earn Pro Bowl MVP, which was awarded to Lamar Jackson for his 185-yard, two-touchdown performance in a winning effort. Still, it was a pretty solid game from Golladay, who was originally a third alternate for the game.
- Over the weekend, several NFL Twitter accounts were hacked. During that time, we pulled off the greatest trade with the Chicago Bears.
for posterity pic.twitter.com/sD52srYFOO— Chris Perfett (@chrisperfett) January 26, 2020
- Like clockwork, you can guarantee that Super Bowl week will be locally dominated by coverage of former Lions playing in the Super Bowl talking about their time in Detroit. First up, 49ers guard Laken Tomlinson talking about how coaching in San Francisco turned his career around.
- If you missed any of the extra access to Matt Patricia at the Senior Bowl, you missed some entertaining content. First, here’s his funny mid-game interview during Saturday’s game:
Most entertaining part of the @seniorbowl for me: this sideline hangout with a Matt Patricia you don't often see. @nflnetwork pic.twitter.com/p4ybU4Luf5— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) January 25, 2020
Then there’s an interesting look into his coaching process with him mic’d up during practices:
Matt Patricia was mic'd up for Senior Bowl practice. He gave ESPN's drop-button operator a workout. Funny stuff.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) January 22, 2020
VIDEO: ESPNU pic.twitter.com/MnyWgDL0pG
- Speaking of the Senior Bowl, Justin Rogers of the Detroit News has a Lions mock draft featuring only Senior Bowl players in each round.
- PFF ranked the Lions’ 2019 rookie class the 17th most productive in the NFL
View this post on Instagram
KOBE. One day they will ask why they say the name “Kobe” when throwing things into a basket. That’s when we will teach them about THE Kobe Bryant. That’s when we will tell them about his attitude and heart as an athlete and even more so as a husband and father. That’s when we will teach them about the mamba-mentality. RIP Kobe and Gigi. You’re legacy will live forever.