We’re not even a full week into the offseason, but it was time to already sound the alarms and congregate for an emergency PODcast. The Detroit Lions fired six members of their coaching staff on Tuesday, and followed it up by the “resignation” of two more on Thursday, including defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.
While none of these moves were particularly surprising, they do leave the Lions in a very interesting position. With the pressure on to be a significant playoff contender in 2020 and the Senior Bowl just weeks away, Matt Patricia and his current staff must find replacements quickly and it all has to come together immediately.
So myself and Kent Lee Platte joined on Wednesday evening to discuss the decisions made by the staff, why we think they made them and who we think could fill some of the vacancies left by this week’s moves.
Download and subscribe to the Pride of Detroit PODcast on your favorite platforms.
- Are we buying that Paul Pasqualoni voluntarily stepped down? (Spoiler: Nope)
- Which, if any, of these moves were surprising?
- Is this coaching overhaul just part of the overall rebuild? How long until this new group of coaches gels?
- Will Matt Patricia go out of his comfort zone again, like he did at offensive coordinator?
- Jeremy and Kent run through their favorite DC candidates and wade through the realistic and unrealistic options.
- Is the Lions’ new offensive line coach already on staff?