According to a report from Crain's Detroit, the Detroit Lions will not host fans at Ford Field at least through the month of November. Kurt Nagl is reporting the Lions told hopeful ticket holders this week that they will not be able to honor three-game ticket packages the team was selling in the hopes that fans would return after the COVID-19 crisis dies down.
The latest blow to Detroit’s chances at filling the stands at Ford Field came last week when Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order that opened some indoor venues, but still prohibited indoor gatherings of 500+ people. Whitmer told MLive.com last week that she would not make any exceptions for the Lions.
“We’re not going to make a special exception for professional football,” Whitmer said. “We have to continue to be smart, and I know there are some who would like to get in person to the Lions game. I’m just glad that you can still partake and support the team by watching them on television.”
The Lions directly referenced that as the reason they will not be opening the gates to games through November.
“As a result of the Governor’s most recent Executive Order, we are unable to honor the 3-game ticket package you previously purchased,” the Lions told ticket holders per Nagl. “To say we are disappointed is an understatement.”
The Lions host three home games beyondt November that could still potentially have fans in the stadium: December 13 vs. the Packers, December 26/27 vs. the Buccaneers, and January 3 against the Vikings.
UPDATE: The Lions may still be open to having people in the stands, including a small amount of relatives or friends of players. Also, the situation is fluid in case another executive order is signed:
The team has voided the tickets from three-game packages recently sold to season-ticket holders, but is prepared to make single game tickets available if Whitmer updates the stadium restrictions ahead of those November games, as unlikely as that is.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) October 2, 2020