Jonah Jackson has started all four games for the Lions and played well enough in them that he is already getting some attention. On Thursday, Pro Football Focus’ Michael Renner named Jackson to his first quarter all-rookie team at right guard. In the blurb for the Lions rookie, Renner pointed out how impressive it was that Jackson was moved from the right to the left side of the line (due to the loss of Joe Dahl to injured reserve) and still played well.
The All-Rookie Offensive Line pic.twitter.com/0aFeq0rliJ— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 8, 2020
According to PFF’s review of the Lions film, the former Buckeye has only given up five pressures in his four starts. His solid play has garnered praise from former Lions guard T.J. Lang, The Film Room’s Brett Kollmann, and NFL Network’s Ben Fennell:
I think this Jonah Jackson is going to be alright for the Lions... Few highlights plays vs GB. Powerful mauler will fit right into the NFC North pic.twitter.com/DCvbwWhRXl— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) September 22, 2020
After setting aside a certain punting samurai to maintain credible objectivity, Pride of Detroit’s head punting stan Hamza Baccouche thought Jackson was the most pleasant surprise of the season so far. While we here at this site have been high on the third-round selection since training camp, it is nice to see the big guy getting some play outside the local market.
Jonah Jackson catching the DB flat-footed in the hole. Always fun when DBs enthusiastically get to a spot in the trenches then get wrecked. pic.twitter.com/fTYdFH0uJ8— Brandon Thorn (@BrandonThornNFL) October 6, 2020
Only four games have been played, but so far it looks like Jackson is every bit the draft steal PFF thought the team got back in April when the Lions picked him. At the least, it is nice to have something other than an all-universe punter to be excited about this season. With that, let’s move on to the rest of today’s Notes:
- This is pretty cool. I hadn’t seen the term Pirate stunt used before.
Great use of a “Pirate” stunt to help the LB get free over the top. You would be surprised how many guys will miss this tackle because their angle is too wide and not filling off of the hip of the OL. https://t.co/3upLrsGkfo— Michael Rose-Ivey (@CoachMRI) October 7, 2020
- According to Sharp Football Stats, through four games the Lions are right in the middle of the league in terms of offensive explosive plays (15th).
After a presumptive positive player test today, all Jets players and coaches were just sent home, per source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 9, 2020
The @BuffaloBills next four games are against @Titans who are in Covid protocol, @Chiefs game day/time moved, the @nyjets who were just sent home from practice for a “presumptive test” and @Patriots who were in Covid protocol. What a season! everyone stays safe.— matt_mcc (@coldinbuffalo) October 9, 2020
- Lions running back Adrian Peterson was part of the Legends team on the NFLPA Legends versus Pro Bowlers episode of Family Feud that aired on Thursday night.
- From Dave Birkett at the Detroit Free Press, the Lions organization will be laying off an unspecified number of employees not directly related to football operations. Though details are scant, Michael Rothstein of ESPN has confirmed this is happening.
- Per Tyler Davis at the Detroit Free Press, a car stolen from Calvin Johnson on September 22 was found in a chop shop.
Optimus Prime— Matthew DeVries (@matdev1984) October 8, 2020