It’s probably not easy facing the music after a typical Detroit Lions loss, but following a shutout has to be about 10 times worse.
The Lions failed to score a single point on Sunday against a Carolina Panthers team led by a backup quarterback and without their star running back. This is the first time Detroit’s been shutout with Matthew Stafford at the helm.
The Lions had never been shut out with Matthew Stafford at QB until today. The last time they were shut out was in 2009 with Daunte Culpepper at quarterback.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) November 22, 2020
Only the Saints, Ravens, Panthers, Steelers, Vikings and Jaguars had longer active streaks without being shut out. pic.twitter.com/cPbaZ2WZ7d
On Sunday, Stafford did what he’s done many times in the last decade and stood at the podium to try and answer what went wrong.
“Obviously not fun to be part of a game where we don’t score any points and really don’t even threaten it. We’ve got to play better on offense and give ourselves a chance to win,” he said.
But Stafford emphasized this devastatingly disappointing loss isn’t what this team is about.
“It’s one football game. It doesn’t define us as an offense, or us as a team. We have to go out there in short order here on Thursday and play better. I know we’ll be motivated to—I know I will. I know guys are itching to probably get out there and go and make some plays and get that bad taste out of our mouth.”
Wouldn’t surprise me if Lions fans stuck to gravy this Turkey Day and kept the Lions off their TV screens, lest that bad taste return.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- Albert Breer touches on the future of Lions leadership in this week’s Monday Morning Quarterback. “I don’t expect the Lions to make any big moves on Monday.”
- Jeff Seidel for the Detroit Free Press explains how Sheila Ford Hamp’s promise to Detroit fans to ensure major improvement won’t be kept if Matt Patricia remains head coach.
- Eastern Market Brewing Company came out with a Lions-themed beer..... Same Old Lager. Brian Manzullo for the Freep has more.
NEW: There's a new Detroit Lions beer, courtesy of Eastern Market Brewing Co., and it's called Same Old Lager. It asks: "Don't set your expectations too high." https://t.co/7FnvFd4AsI pic.twitter.com/GUCAXfHbD4— Brian Manzullo (@BrianManzullo) November 23, 2020
- I added the above article to my list of notes around noon and when I came back to finish Notes at 4 p.m., Barry Sanders came out saying he’s NOT on board with the company using his image. Ope.
Some of you may have seen this in the @freep today - I have no affiliation with this company, and they are using my image without any permission. My legal team is working through the process to shut this down ASAP. Apologies to any fans that were duped. pic.twitter.com/STCnX2fuGS— Barry Sanders (@BarrySanders) November 23, 2020
- A stern column from Bob Wojnowski for the Detroit News — enough is enough for Patricia in Detroit. (Subscription required.)