Detroit Lions center Frank Ragnow isn’t just killing on the field this season, but off the field as well.
The team announced Thursday that Ragnow is the Lions’ 2020 Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award nominee.
The NFL gives out the award each year to a player that exemplifies outstanding sportsmanship on the playing field, including respect for opponents, fair play, and integrity in competition. Each team nominates one player and eight finalists are selected by a panel of former players from the NFL Legends Community. Those finalists are then listed on the Pro Bowl ballot under the NFL Sportsmanship Award category. Then players vote on a winner Dec. 18.
Another Lion won last year, but on the Washington Football Team — Mr. Adrian Peterson.
The award created in 2014 is named after the late Art Rooney, the founding owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here’s a full list of each player nominated from each team.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- “While there will be plenty of teams that have interest in the star quarterback, there’s one team that stands out above the rest.” Jordan Reid of the Draft Network says there’s a sleeper trade partner for Matthew Stafford.
- Chris Burke of The Athletic has a Q&A with the incredible wonderful (I’m biased I’ve read her book) Amy Trask as she offers some advice on selecting the next coach and GM. (Subscription required)
- Who are the top names to know? A list of top 2021 GM candidates by AJ Schulte of Pro Football Network.
- A cute feature from Dave Birkett of the Freep on how Darrell Bevell says his two future son-in-laws just asked him for permission to marry his daughters.
- Some Jack Fox appreciation.
Thru Week 12, @Lions P Jack Fox (@MrJackFox) leads the NFL in gross punting avg. (50.3) & net punting avg. (45.8).— Detroit Lions PR (@LionsPR) December 3, 2020
He is only the 3rd punter in #NFL history to average at least 50 gross yards & 45 net yards per punt thru the first 12 weeks of a season.#OnePride#ProBowlVote pic.twitter.com/i43d5teNij
- An interesting piece over in Bears land, Alyssa Barbrier for BearsWire asks Chicago fans: Which Lion would you like to see on the Bears?
- John Maakaron of AllLions offers four Lions the team should consider trading.
- And another from AllLions, Vito Chirco explains the pros and cons of selecting former Lions linebacker Chris Spielman for the GM spot.