As part of his Stadium Tour, country music superstar Garth Brooks played at Ford Field last Saturday decked out in a Barry Sanders all gray color rush jersey. While he committed the nearly-unpardonable sin of tucking the jersey into his jeans during the concert, it was a nice gesture to wear the home team’s gear:
Pictures of Brooks backstage wearing the jersey made the rounds on Facebook, and Facebook being Facebook you know what happened next. Here’s the Detroit Free Press’ Social, Search, and Audience Editor Brian Manzullo:
Friday morning, Barry Sanders was trending on Twitter as hordes of bird app users were either outraged (if they did not have a clue) or amused (if they were in on the reference). Pretty soon, the great one himself weighed in on the subject and reached out to Brooks:
Having lost the opportunity to move a Detroit Lions-based candidacy in 2016 behind a surging Jim Bob Cooter, the official Lions social media folks are now rallying support for your new GOAT party Sanders-Brooks ticket:
And now, on to the rest of today’s Notes:
- For those hoping for a magical secondary:
Jeff Okudah will have a formal interview with the Lions on Saturday.— kyle meinke (@kmeinke) February 28, 2020
- Here’s an interesting note on the CBA from ProFootballTalk relevant to what Detroit experienced last year:
Proposed CBA would restrict a player's ability to hold out, by increasing fines, taking accrued seasons more quickly, and making fines mandatory for players on their second contracts https://t.co/DNPFmU7IB0— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) February 27, 2020
- In an article he bills as free-agent nuggets from the Combine, the Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett says he does not expect the Lions to bring back either Sam Martin or Graham Glasgow.
- Per Justin Rogers at the Detroit News, Auburn’s Derrick Brown thinks people making a comparison of him to Ndamukong Suh could work:
Brown is aiming to be that next great defensive tackle at the next level. He said he enjoys watching many of the league’s current standouts, from Fletcher Cox to Chris Jones to Aaron Donald, to a man he’s been compared to on multiple occasions, former Detroit Lion Ndamukong Suh.
”I respect Suh a lot as a player,” Brown said. ”I hadn’t seen (the comparisons), but that’s a guy that plays with power, so that’s not a bad comparison.”
For more background on Brown, take a look at the whole fantastic profile Rogers wrote up.
- Another Lions jersey spotted in the wild: