It was a slow start to free agency for the Detroit Lions, but before the night was through, they had made a significant impact.
Around the NFL, it was a busy day from morning until the last few minutes of the night. The league saw the most franchise tagged players in several years, there were a handful of blockbuster trades agreed to, and, of course, some of the best talent this free agency class has to offer found new homes on Monday.
So to recap it all, specifically with a focus on the Detroit Lions, we got together for an EMERGENCY PODCAST to break down our initial thoughts of free agency Day 1.
The podcast was recorded before the midnight news regarding Nick Williams, so we focus on the signings of OT Halapoulivaati Vaitai and linebacker Jamie Collins Sr. Where do they fit? Did Detroit get good value on their contracts? What will the Lions do next?
We discuss that, and a lot, lot more:
Day 1 recap topics
- We’re excited about Jamie Collins, but how does he fit in Detroit?
- Is Jarrad Davis on his way out? What about Devon Kennard? Is Christian Jones the latest player to get a short-lived extension?
- Jeremy messes up Vaitai’s name, but then doesn’t mess it up again, because he’s a professional.
- Did the Lions overpay for Vaitai? Too much faith in a career backup?
- Ryan and Jeremy discuss the Stefon Diggs trade as it happens in real time.
- What will the Lions do next? What do we want the Lions to do next?