As we are now just a week away from the 2020 NFL Draft, and it will undoubtedly be one of the most important in recent memory for the Detroit Lions. With the third overall pick, and extra third-round pick and the potential to add more, the Lions are in a unique position among other NFL teams to really make the most out of this draft class.
Field Yates over at ESPN put a numerical number on just how valuable the Lions’ current slate of picks is, based on the value chart created by Pats Pulpit’s Rich Hill. Based on his formula, the Lions’ nine picks are worth a total of 865 points—good for fourth best in the NFL.
Examining the draft capital of every NFL team, from the Dolphins (1,352 points) to the Bills (190 points), using the excellent pick value chart developed by @PP_Rich_Hill. pic.twitter.com/rCK3UDNkPj— Field Yates (@FieldYates) April 16, 2020
Unsurprisingly, the only teams ahead of the Lions are the Bengals (holder of the first overall pick), the Dolphins (14 picks!) and the Jaguars (12 picks). As for the rest of the NFC North, the Vikings come in at 10th, largely due to their two first-round picks. The Bears and the Packers are both in the bottom 10, with Chicago and their seven picks valuing as the fourth-lowest in the NFL.
- I joined the “Lions on the Prowl” podcast on Wednesday night to talk about the NFL Draft, give my thoughts on the Matt Patricia era and Detroit’s offseason thus far:
- Is the third overall pick too early for Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown to come off the board? Mel Kiper Jr. thinks so.
- Time to relive and vote on your favorite Matthew Stafford moments:
Which is your favorite Matthew Stafford moment? #TBT— Detroit Lions (@Lions) April 16, 2020
- Dane Brugler of The Athletic had a full 7-round mock for the NFL. Lions Wire’s Jeff Risdon broke down his thoughts of the Lions’ nine draftees.
- Kerryon Johnson and Darius Slay talking trash on Twitter is fun:
@_bigplayslay23 said he will smack you in an Oklahoma drill @AyeyoKEJO lmao pic.twitter.com/Mw3kHeYwZP— (@Ronniegza12) April 16, 2020
Lmao boy if you do anything but push me out of bounds and say good rep i will be furious https://t.co/wveDpbxRnL— Kerryon Johnson (@AyeyoKEJO) April 16, 2020
- Tim Twentyman has a nice profile on local Michigan center Cesar Ruiz.