At 197th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select Utah defensive tackle John Penisini.
The Lions clear up their biggest remaining need by drafting a big run stuffer. At 6-foot-1, 318 pounds, Penisini could potentially fight for some time in the nose tackle and three-tech rotation.
He sure did a hell of a job stopping the run at Utah:
"Utah’s John Penisini is one of PFF’s favorite pure run-stuffing nose tackles. He earned a higher run-defense grade (90.6) than more highly touted teammate Leki Fotu for the Utes last season."— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) April 25, 2020
The Lions have one more pick to finalize their 2020 NFL draft class.
Lions picks thus far:
- Round 1, Pick 3 - OSU CB Jeff Okudah
- Round 2, Pick 3 (35 overall) - Georgia RB D’Andre Swift
- Round 3, Pick 3 (67 overall) - Notre Dame EDGE Julian Okwara
- Round 3, Pick 11 (75 overall) - OSU G Jonah Jackson
- Round 4, Pick 15 (121 overall) - Kentucky G Logan Stenberg
- Round 5, Pick 21 (166 overall) - Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus
- Round 5, Pick 27 (172 overall) - New Mexico State RB Jason Huntley
- Round 6, Pick 18 (197) - Utah DT John Penisini
Lions remaining picks
- Round 7, Pick 21 (235 overall) - from Eagles via Patriots
Top remaining needs for Lions:
Cornerback Defensive tackle Offensive guard Wide receiver Edge defender Running back
NFL Draft schedule
What: Rounds 4 through 7
When: Saturday, April 25 — Noon ET until around 7 p.m.
TV: ABC, ESPN, NFL Network
Online streaming: ESPN app, NFL Network Live
Online streaming for Draftathon charity event: YouTube, Twitch, Facebook
Lions picks: Round 4, Pick 3 (109); Round 5, Pick 3 (149); Round 5, Pick 20 (166); Round 6, Pick 3 (182); Round 7, Pick 21 (235)