Whether you believe a running back is worth the 35th overall pick or not in today’s NFL, the addition of D’Andre Swift undoubtedly brings about some excitement to the Detroit Lions and their fans. Swift was a highly productive back in college—eclipsing 2,300 total yards in each of his final two seasons at Georgia with a combined 25 touchdowns.
Swift was considered by many to be the top running back in the draft due to his versatility as a threat in the running and passing game, while also possessing near-elite athletic traits necessary for success at the next level.
He also feels like that final piece of the puzzle for the Lions offense, which already has a top-10 pick at tight end, last year’s receiving touchdown leader, another second-round pick at running back and two receivers—Marvin Jones Jr. and Danny Amendola—playing at high levels.
But just in case that doesn’t have you hyped enough, just look at this insane footwork from Swift, as he continues to train this offseason:
View this post on Instagram
Congrats again to my guy @dreswift_ on living the dream. Thank you @detroitlionsnfl for making his dreams come true. And just know we still got chip on our shoulder, and we coming with all the smoke . #RBU #SilentAssassin #LabTalk #TheCave #Se7enEra #BeyondBlessed : @maurice.goodson.7
And while we’re on the topic of Swift, check out this amazing behind-the-scenes video of Swift and his path to the draft, including the days, hours and minutes leading up to him being drafted by the Lions. I promise this is worth your five minutes.
- While we’re continuing to hype this rookie class, here’s an excellent breakdown of the Lions’ first-round pick Jeff Okudah:
- MLive’s Kyle Meinke got beat writers from the college of all the Lions’ 2020 draft picks to do a roundtable about their futures in the NFL.
- Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but the Lions’ receivers are pretty dang good at contested catches:
- Erik Schlitt from Lions Wire notes using his QIB (Quinn Influenced Benchmarks) metric that the Lions’ athletic profile for their offense has been shifting over the past couples years.
- New Marvin Jones Jr. track + workout video = FIRE :
- Pretty cool video from DetroitLions.com on how the Lions media department operated from their homes during the NFL Draft. Bonus points to those of you who can find my mini cameo.