I’m not one to write much about fantasy football. I haven’t played the game in over a decade, and I think my life is better for it. Actual football is plenty of entertainment for me. I don’t needed the extra stress on Sundays and I hate having my allegiances tested because of a fake team.
But for you fantasy addicts out there—and I know there’s a ton of you—ESPN’s Matt Bowen dropped an article this week naming his favorite fantasy targets for the 2020 season. Lo and behold, Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is on the list as one of his three favorite passers to draft.
Bowen notes that Stafford was averaging a whopping 20.8 fantasy points last year prior to his injury. With all of the team’s top pass-catchers returning this season and a defense that’s likely to give up a lot of points, Stafford is likely to continue to air it out this year, per Bowen.
“He has top-tier traits as a thrower, and he will play off schedule, given his movement ability/arm talent,” Bowen wrote. “At his current ADP, Stafford is a prime fit for my strategy of drafting quarterbacks later.”
Are you fantasy junkies drafting Stafford this year?
- ESPN’s Michael Rothstein has an interesting story about former Lions defensive lineman Armonty Bryant and his journey looking for a kidney transplant.
- Despite reports that he had been saying goodbye to his Vikings teammates, it appears left tackle—and former Lion—Riley Reiff will be accepting a renegotiated contract to accommodate the trade for Yannick Ngakoue:
The #Vikings are finalizing a restructured contract with left tackle Riley Reiff, sources tell me and @RapSheet. One day after Reiff was offered a pay cut and said goodbye to teammates, he’s back and the O-line stays intact.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) September 1, 2020
- Two Lions players made ESPN’s top 100 players for the 2020 season. They are exactly who you think they are.
- Two doses of Staffordy goodness from practice this week:
- Chris Burke and Nick Baumgardner of The Athletic teamed up to make 40 observations from all of Lions training camp. Here’s a spoiler: Burke predicts Trey Flowers will be a Pro Bowler in 2020.
- And in case you were wondering, Dee Virgin is your 2020 Detroit Lions Name Bracket Champion of the World... you jerks.