One can imagine there’s just nothing like kicking a game-winning field goal. Even after all his time in the league, Matt Prater still feels the pure, unbridled excitement.
“I honestly don’t know what happens to me after a game winner because everybody goes so crazy. I kind of black out,” Prater said Sunday after the win. “I usually say a bunch of things, I don’t even know what I’m saying, headbutt Jack (Fox) and Mule (Don Muhlbach) and celebrate with everybody — it’s fun.”
Prater kicked a 39-yarder to secure a 26-23 win against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday at State Farm Stadium. Observe:
The veteran said it doesn’t matter whether it’s long or short, he expects to make it.
“I treat them all the same. So it’s frustrating, I expect to make those long ones but it was nice to come back and have four shorter kicks, which I expect to make them all. The offense at the end did a great job of moving the ball down, ran the clock out, set it up, so I’m just basically trying to do my part,” he said.
That frustration includes a missed long field goal against the Chicago Bears in Week 1, and another against the Green Bay Packers in Week 2. But kicking a game winner should help ease that. Watch his comments in full below:
And onto the rest of your notes.
- As pointed out by Justin Rogers for The Detroit News, Terry Bradshaw said during FOX NFL Sunday’s pregame show that Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia “gotta go.”
- Shawn Windsor for the Detroit Free Press explains how the Lions experienced their first win the “Patriot Way” this Sunday. (Subscription required)
- Love to see it.
- Columnist Mike O’Hara for the team’s website explores how important Kenny Golladay’s return was.
- The Lions actually got their own section of Albert Breer’s Monday Morning Quarterback called “Lions Live in the Moment” Not too shabby.
- “Matt Patricia lives!” Sports Illustrated’s Gary Gramling writes in his Week 3 takeaways.
- Happy Birthday Jahlani!