On Thursday, the Detroit Lions community learned Brad Holmes would help dictate the future of the franchise as the next General Manager.
It’s always fun to see reactions across the social media-sphere. From Lions fans to Detroit media to reporters who have spoken with Holmes in the past, I combed Twitter to see how folks are digesting the news.
Pluses on Brad Holmes- #Rams and NFL people raving about his draft savvy. Seems like a great guy too and well liked and respected. Biggest risk is he has not worked at the facility. Totally different being in the building every day. #Lions— Matt Dery (@DerySpeaks) January 14, 2021
Lions fans, if interested, these are the kind of progressive evaluation and draft practices Brad Holmes was key in helping implement w/ Rams. Cognitive bias-removal in talent eval, data as a tool, decision-making psychology and much more. https://t.co/RLPdj0v6jO— Jourdan Rodrigue (@JourdanRodrigue) January 14, 2021
New #Lions GM Brad Holmes on the “scouts eye” pic.twitter.com/64ETNXac4L— Vinnie Calderone (@CenzoNFL) January 14, 2021
Can’t tell you how many people have contacted me to tell me how the @Lions made a strong GM hire with former @RamsNFL Dir. Of College Scouting Brad Holmes.— Steve Wyche (@wyche89) January 14, 2021
“He’s got great emotional intelligence... even if he disagrees w/ you, it never feels confrontational” which brings people together for organizational solutions, Sean McVay said about new Lions GM Brad Holmes. McVay also said he spoke to Chris Spielman last week about Holmes.— Omar Ruiz (@OmarDRuiz) January 14, 2021
I'm not saying Brad Holmes is the Lions' Mike Tomlin ... but Pitt hired Tomlin as a young guy kinda out of the blue, crushed his interview & has done great things.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) January 14, 2021
Holmes was very much under the radar entering this process, Impressed in his interviews (not just in Det).
The @Lions hired Brad Holmes to be the GM of the @Lions pic.twitter.com/5ecSUaHDzD— Detroit Pierce (@DetroitPierce) January 14, 2021
I spoke with soon-to-be Lions GM Brad Holmes a few weeks ago for this piece. That he's been around to build teams in traditional and unorthodox ways makes him a fantastic candidate, imo. https://t.co/UVHwj0bJ8B— Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) January 14, 2021
My first thought on the hiring of Rams' respected talent evaluator Brad Holmes: I think the Lions got sick of screwing up the draft every year. Lack of GM experience gives you pause, but Holmes lauded throughout the league.— Bob Wojnowski (@bobwojnowski) January 14, 2021
I’m loving looking at everybody’s reactions. What’s yours?
And onto the rest of your notes.
- In the wake of Holmes’ hiring, Carlos Monarrez for the Detroit Free Press explains why he believes the selection was a mistake.
- Pro Football Focus released their 2020 pass-rush rankings. The Lions came in.... not last? That’s good, right?
- Happy Birthday, D’Andre Swift!
Enjoy your day @DAndreSwift pic.twitter.com/repP2BiRsD— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 14, 2021
- Now that there’s a new GM, ESPN’s Mike Rothstein explores the major decisions the team needs to make to find success in 2021.
- Detroitlions.com’s Tim Twentyman continues his position breakdowns. Next up: defensive line.
- It’s not particularly Lions related but it falls under the NFC North realm? Kinda? Maybe? Whatever, go with it, I like Jeopardy and it turns out Aaron Rodgers will make a guest appearance as host.