While we’ve all been distracted by new hires and Matthew Stafford trade talks, the 2021 Senior Bowl quietly kicked off this week in Mobile, Alabama. With the Lions still adjusting their staff, the event won’t pull the kind of attraction it did last year, when Matt Patricia and company coached the North team. However, the Lions have some valuable draft capital this year, so the event will have significant importance to Detroit.
Our coverage of the 2021 Senior Bowl hasn’t kicked off yet—and to be honest, it may be a little light this year—but that doesn’t mean we can’t highlight some of the better stuff from around the Lions webisphere.
Over at DetroitLions.com, Tim Twentyman and Tori Petry have already made their way down to Alabama. They’ve got a nice preview of the event here, where they also break down some of the Lions’ new staff. Twentyman also added his Day 1 observations here from Tuesday’s practice.
- It’s been some time since we’ve heard from our old friend Dominic Raiola. He joined FOX 2 Detroit earlier this week to give his thoughts on Matthew Stafford, the hiring of Dan Campbell, and just how harmful Matt Patricia was to this team. You can watch the interview below, or if you can’t see it click here.
- The Lions will likely have to bring in a veteran quarterback to replace Matthew Stafford, regardless of whether they plan on drafting one in April. Chris Burke and Nick Baumgardner of The Athletic put together a tiered list of options they could pursue.
- Here’s a fun video of new Lions defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant getting after it during a RAms practice a few years ago. Giving off serious Robert Prince vibes:
- Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire has a list of five players that may benefit most from the Lions’ coaching changes thus far.
- Awesome update from our story that Lions fans were flooding the Acoustic Neuroma Association with donations as a sign of appreciation to Matthew and Kelly Stafford. Fans have raised over $22,000. ESPN’s Mike Rothstein has more.
THANK YOU to #Lions fans for honoring Matthew and Kelly Stafford @kbstafford89 with donations totaling $20,000 so far! We are so very grateful! #StaffordStrong #Thankyou9 @PrideOfDetroit @Lions @ANAssociation https://t.co/CcTrXqqQad pic.twitter.com/7UTbY5BkIR— ANAssociation (@ANAssociation) January 26, 2021
- PFF listed Romeo Okwara as a low-cost free agent that could have a high impact in 2021. They even went as far as saying he could be the next Shaquil Barrett in terms of free agent pickups.