When it comes to Detroit Lions’ fans, this loyal and steadfast group wants to know just as much about what the players do on the field as what’s under the helmet.
The Athletic’s Chris Burke spent time with T.J. Hockenson and blessed us with a feature that dives deeper into what really matters to the tight end.
The piece begins with a descriptive illustration of Hockenson’s furry best friend Lilo and explores what it’s like being in the public eye. After all, there aren’t many familiar faces left on this roster after the massive overhaul.
It examines T.J ‘s big leap to the NFL — from never living outside of Iowa, to becoming a top-10 pick, and how his football career has impacted his family’s life. The profile touches on his friendship with 49ers tight end George Kittle, the house he bought in Nashville, and what he wants for the future of this franchise.
“I do think we’ll get this thing turned around, and I hope I”m here to be a part of it,” Hockeson tells Burke.
What makes T.J. Hockenson tick? On a cloudy off day, I joined him as he tossed the frisbee around for his dog, Lilo. We talked about family, football and his desire to put down roots in Detroit.https://t.co/w5pOX1H8nV pic.twitter.com/XT9xRGsz0k— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) October 28, 2021
I think that is enough of a teaser, you can read the feature piece here (subscription required).
And onto your notes.
- In case you’re a rankings guy or gal, I’ve been watching Jared Goff rise and fall around the same spot throughout the season on NFL.com. The latest loss — likely due to how hard the Lions fought and the strength of the opponent — shot the quarterback up three spots. Here’s where he has been ranked each week: Week 8 - 24, Week 7 - 27, Week 6 - 25, Week 5 - 23, Week 4 - 24, Week 3 - 27, Week 2 - 28, and Week 1 - 27.
- Although the NFL trade deadline is about a week away, Dan Campbell said it’s not on his mind. “I’m about what we have on this roster right now and how we get the most out of it.” The Freep’s Dave Birkett has that story.
- Also from the Freep, Tyler J. Davis examines Todd McShay’s top 32 prospects and what that could mean for the Lions, who are on track to snag the No. 1 pick.
- A message from one Raymond to another.
- Detroitlions.com’s Tim Twentyman takes a look at what the Philadelphia Eagles are saying ahead of Sunday’s matchup.
- We told you about Romeo Okwara’s passion for photography, but here’s a little more information on it, including an in-depth Q & A with HOUR Detroit’s Ryan Patrick Hooper.
- The latest Women in Sports segment: