Only a few days have passed since the ugly Thanksgiving Day loss on a national stage and the heat doesn’t seem to have let off on first-year Detroit Lions head coach Dan Campbell.
The Lions are sitting at 0-10-1 after another brutal loss to the also not-great Chicago Bears last Thursday — a game plagued by penalties and lost on the final play on the national stage.
Asked Monday afternoon if he notices the harsh criticism circulating, Campbell says he prefers to stay focused on his world — evaluating his work alongside his players and coaches — rather than paying attention to the media, good or bad.
“I think it’ll sway you one way or another if you’re not careful and neither one of them is good,” he said.
But of course he can tell there’s “chatter”, as he puts it, because he’s been getting “hey man, hang in there” texts and calls. There’s a reason he’s getting those messages from friends.
“As far as being warranted, when you don’t win a game — I mean I should be criticized. I don’t blame anybody for that. That’s the reality of it right now,” Campbell said.
Some might compare this to the previous regime, where it often seemed as if former head coach Matt Patricia was unwilling to take responsibility for losses under his leadership. Others might not care — enough talk, just win.
“I would love to be able to say there’s something I can tell everybody that’s going to make everybody feel better but as you guys know, it’s about winning — and we haven’t done that yet,” Campbell said.
An excellent segue to your first note....
- There are six games left in the season. A lot can happen in six games. Detroitlions.com’s Mike O’Hara takes stock of just where the Lions stand.
- Calling this spring and summer an “absolutely critical offseason for the Holmes-Dan Campbell pairing,” the fellas at The Athletic take their first shot at a mock draft. ($)
- Woodward Sports’ Kory Woods is among many today making the argument that while Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux would undoubtedly be a phenomenal fit on the Lions, hometown guy Aidan Hutchinson could be even better.
- Looks like a lot of folks are debating this draft matchup this morning. Dave Birkett also has some thoughts on that debate for the Free Press. ($)
- A rare highlight from the Thanksgiving Day from Penei Sewell.
Penei Sewell is a baaaaaaaaaad man #OnePride— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) November 25, 2021
- Somehow the Lions fan base only ranks the 11th-most whiny fan base in the league? Shawn Windsor for the Freep has that story.
- The Los Angeles Rams’ losing streak is helping the Lions’ draft slot. The first-round pick the Lions acquired from the Rams for Matthew Stafford is now the No. 23 overall pickup from No. 31 just three weeks ago. The Lions Wire’s Jeff Risdon has more.