From the fog of a dreadful Detroit Lions 0-8 start emerges D’Andre Swift as a bright spot in the passing game.
A Lion finally made it on a positive list — NFL.com’s Nick Shook ranked the top 10 pass-catching running backs in the league and Swift landed at No. 6.
“In an offense that lacks legitimate weapons, Swift has carried the aerial load and shined as a pass-catching back, even if it might be out of necessity for Detroit,” Shook writes.
Swift has caught 47 passes for 415 yards so far in 2021. Shook notes that Swift is the only back to reach 400 yards and is also leading the league in yards after the catch.
Jared Goff & D'Andre Swift (63-yd TD)— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) October 24, 2021
The #Lions dial up the RB screen at the right time. The Rams rushed seven leaving plenty of space for Swift to pick up yards after the catch.
Yards After Catch: 68
Expected YAC: 21
YAC Over Expected: +47#DETvsLAR | #OnePride pic.twitter.com/kBdlkIn2LP
Jared Goff finds D'Andre Swift on a RB screen, who takes it 43 yards for a #Lions touchdown.— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) September 12, 2021
Yards After Catch: 46.5
YAC Over Expected: +19.2
Swift has been targeted on 7 of his 16 routes so far today (43.8%).#SFvsDET | #OnePride pic.twitter.com/IaNsu4UXEd
And onto your notes.
- Get to know Anthony Pittman a little better in the first installment of the Lions’ Under the Helmet series.
- The Athletic’s Chris Burke offers five predictions for the rest of Lions’ season.
- Kayvon Thibodeaux goes to the Lions in Jeff Risdon’s latest mock. “ It’s hard to ignore Detroit’s desperation at quarterback, but it’s harder to ignore what Thibodeaux could do for a young defense that has some nice pieces but needs the centerpiece.”
- As we reach just about the middle of the season, CBS Sports’ Chris Trapasso re-graded each team’s first-round pick.
- T.J. Hockenson was mic’d up against the Philadelphia Eagles in this week’s Sights and Sounds. For the best, considering he’s one of few who had a good game.