On Monday, the Detroit Lions announced they had released both linebacker Christian Jones and center Russell Bodine. Jones had been a prominent player on the Lions’ defense for the past three years, starting 42 of 48 games over that time and tallying 177 tackles over that time.
Though many fans believed this was the right move to make, Jones took to Instagram on Monday evening to thank the Lions and thank the fans for the past three years of his career.
“Thank you @detroitlionsnfl for the last three years,” Jones said via an Instagram caption. “I’m grateful to have been part of this city and team which I’ve made countless memories in. I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life. I’m honored to have been able to put on that Honolulu blue and rep a city with so much heart, grit, perseverance, and history. It’s all love, and the Lions organization and city of Detroit will always have a special place in my heart. I’m excited for what the future holds and am looking forward to this new chapter in my life.
“Detroit, I love you and I wish the Lions organization all the best in the future.”
- The Lions also re-signed cornerback Mike Ford on Monday, and he expressed his excitement on social media:
- Wondering where Kenny Golladay may go if he hits free agency next week? Apparently, the Miami Dolphins are planning to make a run at him.
- NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah did a video conference on Tuesday and told just about every Lions beat writer that the Lions have a lot of good options at wide receiver to fill Golladay’s role.
- The latest in Lions’ awesome “National Reading Month” series of Lions players and coaches reading children's books: Chris Spielman reading Goodnight Moon:
Watch Chris Spielman read ℎ as we continue our celebration of National Reading Month pic.twitter.com/1jwWunoFXO— Detroit Lions (@Lions) March 9, 2021
- Pro days kick off this week, so Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire has six pro days to watch this week, as well as the prospects from each school to watch.
- To recap franchise tag deadline day, here are the 10 players that got tagged this week:
Franchise tagged:— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 9, 2021
▫️Dak Prescott (placeholder)
Free agents: Shaq Barrett, Kenny Golladay, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Aaron Jones.