Combine barbecue, backyard wrestling, and two massive tight ends, and what have you got?
A very fun afternoon, I’d say. Detroit Lions’ T.J. Hockenson joined George Kittle in a commercial for Kingsford Hardwood Pellets. Kittle is introduced as The People’s Tight End and hosts some backyard wrestling, aka “the smoke show.”
Hockenson makes an appearance in a—dare I say, iconic—red cowboy jumpsuit, as he helps his friend take on the “competition” in the ring, otherwise known as basic pellets.
Fun, right? Kittle is a proven beast of a tight end. If you’re like me and spend far too much time on social media, you’ve probably noticed Hockenson and Kittle hang out a lot.
Just a couple of guys being dudes. A particularly promising caption from Hockenson: “Surround yourself with people who push you.” Many think he’s poised for a breakout season—let’s hope Kittle rubs off a little on the rising star.
A nice little breather from draftmania, eh?
Onto the rest of your notes.
- Back to draftmania. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press argues why Rashawn Slater could be a better fit for the Lions than Penei Sewell. (Subscription required.)
- Also from the Freep: Jeff Seidel suggests the Lions should opt for a defensive playmaker instead of an offensive lineman or receiver in the draft.
- Drew Brees knew going into 2020 that it would be his last season in the league, saying he only “felt good in one game” the whole season. You can guess where I’m going with this.
- Looking back on grades from draft picks of the Bob Quinn-era:
Highest-Graded Single-Season by a Bob Quinn Draftee (2016-20):— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) April 21, 2021
S Tracy Walker ('18) - 89.8 OVR
DI A'Shawn Robinson ('18) - 89.7
DI Da'Shawn Hand ('18) - 85.2
LT Taylor Decker ('16) - 82.1
LT Taylor Decker ('20) - 82.0
WR Kenny Golladay ('18) - 81.0#OnePride pic.twitter.com/J1A7aLtYt9
- Using Pro Football Reference’s “Approximate Value” system, The Athletic’s Larry Holder tallied how many times a team has actually drafted the “best player available” when their turn came. The Lions.... again, you can see where I’m going here. (Subscription required)
- One young Lion made this list of top budding NFL stars, a 25 under 25.
- The Lions put together a downloadable, comprehensive draft guide featuring information on everything from current roster fun facts to Detroit’s draft history by college.
The @Lions' 2021 Free Agency Recap & Pre-Draft Guide is available in the link below.— Detroit Lions PR (@LionsPR) April 21, 2021
The guide includes all-time draft history, draft information, superlatives and more in advance of next week's @NFLDraft. https://t.co/lAHG1Nq89d pic.twitter.com/uEKXC79Xnv
- Wholesome content.