A former Netflix star is soon to become a Detroit Lions star.
Well, that’s the hope at least. Over the weekend, the Lions signed Rakeem Boyd, former Arizona running back and star of the Netflix series “Last Chance U,” as an undrafted free agent.
For those unfamiliar, Netflix’s “Last Chance U” docu-series takes an inside look at junior college football, following the stories of coaches and athletes. Many are struggling with academic or personal issues as they find themselves in this coming-of-age type of series. Boyd was featured in Season 3, while playing football at Independence Community College of Kansas. Here’s the trailer:
The year prior, Boyd was a three-star recruit at Texas A&M but was kicked out due to academic issues. After transferring to ICC, however, he found redemption — rushing for 1,211 yards and 14 touchdowns. “Last Chance U” also touched on his family’s struggles after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and then impacted again by Hurricane Harvey in Houston.
Following his successful season at ICC, Boyd signed with Arkansas where he found even more success. In 2018, he rushed for 734 yards with two touchdowns in 12 games, starting eight. In 2019, he rushed for 1,133 yards and eight touchdowns, starting all 12 games. In December 2020, he opted out of the remainder of his senior season and declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. He went undrafted, but has found a new home in the Motor City.
Swear ima make em pay.. been in this position before— Rakeem boyd ™ (@boyd_rakeem) May 2, 2021
I believe that means many passed on him and will come to regret it. Love the attitude. Fellow Razorback Frank Ragnow is here for it:
Let’s go baby!!!— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) May 2, 2021
Onto the rest of your notes.
- Jeremy wrote up a round up of draft grades on Sunday, but in case you’d like to see a few more: one from CBS Sports’ Pete Crisco, another from NFL.com’s Chad Reuter, and one from The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia. (Subscription required.)
- The Lions passed on a quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft, so Dave Birkett is already looking ahead at 2022 candidates. (Subscription required.)
- With all these new additions over the weekend, what might the Lions depth chart look like? The guys over at The Athletic offer some thoughts. (Subscription required.)
- During the NFL’s Draft-a-Thon live chat, Kevin Hart told Tom Brady if he really wants to be the best there ever was, he needs to win a Super Bowl with the Lions.
- Penei Sewell already spending some time with Lions fans.
- “Not many undrafted free agents are as close to pro-ready as Jackson is.” The Lions made PFF’s list of 10 best undrafted free agent signings.
- A Lion also made PFF’s list of 12 rookies primed for fantasy breakouts with their new NFL teams in 2021.
- Alex Karras has been enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, check out some of the ways they are highlighting his career:
An exclusive look at the families of the posthumous enshrinees for the Class of 2020 and 2021 placing the newest Bronzed Busts on display inside the hallowed Hall of Fame Gallery.#PFHOF20 | #PFHOF21 pic.twitter.com/5BW7kJ4MN5— Pro Football Hall of Fame (@ProFootballHOF) May 2, 2021