We’ve seen that the Detroit Lions’ 2021 draft class was pretty well regarded by the masses. By combining the draft grades of 18 different analysts, the Lions’ class ranked tied for seventh in the NFL. But a couple outlets had the Lions a little higher than that.
The Athletic’s Dane Brugler, who is widely considered one of the most thorough draft experts in the media in part because of his impressive “The Beast” draft guide, named the Lions draft class as the third-best in all of the league. He specifically liked the picks of Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell and USC wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown.
“The value of St. Brown in the fourth round was an impressive find by general manager Brad Holmes, who had an impressive weekend running his first draft,” Brugler wrote.
The only two teams with better draft hauls than the Lions, per Brugler, were the Eagles (who, ironically, wanted Alim McNeill) and the Browns. The Bears were fourth on Brugler’s list.
But he wasn’t the only one to give the Lions top-five praise. PFF’s Mike Renner listed his top five and bottom five drafts and the Lions slipped in right at four:
The top-5 best and worst 2021 NFL Drafts (@PFF_Mike): pic.twitter.com/IJn5XEvUqd— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) May 4, 2021
- NFL Films legend Greg Cosell broke down all seven of the Lions’ draft picks. Cosell is a highly-respected mind, so this is a must-read every year.
- Former NFL lineman—and Oregon Duck—Geoff Schwartz knew Penei Sewell was special in his freshman year. This was from 2018:
Oregon has a true freshman playing LT. Y’all will know his name well when he eventually enters the draft. Penei Sewell. This is a tough base block against a 4T. Not an issue for Sewell. The finish is the best. Watch his ability to redirect and pic.twitter.com/oNH4Kf3jqS— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) September 24, 2018
- Now that signings no longer impact the compensatory pick formula, here are the latest 2022 compensatory pick projections. The Lions are currently slated to pick up a third, fifth and sixth-round pick, but that could change due to playing time.
- Cool news for former Lions running back Bo Scarbrough:
Former Lions & Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough walked as a college graduate over the weekend.— Michael Rothstein (@mikerothstein) May 3, 2021
One of my last pre-pandemic trips was to Tuscaloosa to go to class with @starbo06. https://t.co/gWu2eVpvYw pic.twitter.com/vTAzYss1He
- Lions GM Brad Holmes joined 97.1 The Ticket on Tuesday morning to recap the draft. You can listen to the interview here.