We’ve heard plenty from Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes on the team’s 2021 NFL Draft class, but what does the head coach think of the picks, and how does he plan on using them? We’ve heard Dan Campbell preach cooperation between the front office and the coaching staff, so is that what happened over the weekend?
Campbell joined the Sirius XM NFL show “Movin’ the Chains” on Tuesday and gave his thoughts on Detroit’s entire draft class, pick-by-pick. Unfortunately, I don’t have a SiriusXM subscription. Fortunately, several members of the Lions media broke down the interview.
First, Lions Wire had two articles on the show. First, Campbell spilled the beans that many of us had assumed already: the Lions are going to have a 3-4 base on defense. Additionally, Lions Wire noted that fourth-round pick, linebacker Derrick Barnes, has already made a strong impression on Campbell, requesting the number 55 and the middle linebacker position.
Justin Rogers of the Detroit News has a fully comprehensive breakdown of the interview, providing quotes on each of the Lions’ draft picks. I won’t give them all to you below, but here are a couple of interesting points.
On Amon-Ra St. Brown:
“Is he a guy that’s going to run a 4.3? No, he’s not a 4.3 guy, but he plays fast, man. We just felt like he was an excellent addition. We think he can go in there and compete at slot receiver”
“Look, he’ll have a little bit of growing pains, but we all think he can develop into something special. There again, his character just reeks of success.”
Or, if you’re more of a Twitter person, Chris Burke of The Athletic had a chain of tweets detailing the entire interview. Here are a few noteworthy posts from that thread.
On McNeill: “This is not just a two-down nose.” Campbell said the Lions would use him that way, as a zero-tech or shade vs. the run, “but (we) know he’s got the quickness or explosion to hit an edge on an offensive linemen or a center and put pressure on the quarterback.”— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) May 5, 2021
- Looking for a new phone wallpaper? The Lions have the hookup with a new fresh-looking Penei Sewell background:
- PFF named the Lions the fourth-most improved defensive line after free agency and the NFL Draft.
- The folks over at The Lefkoe Show were fans of the Lions’ draft haul:
Listen up, Lions fans.— The Lefkoe Show (@LefkoeShow) May 5, 2021
Your team might've just NAILED that draft pic.twitter.com/wIyxl6Drtx
- The Lions are currently holding a “2021 Draft Auction” in support of the Detroit Lions Charities. Currently being auctioned off are signed footballs by Penei Sewell, Dan Campbell, and Levi Onwuzurike. You have until May 7 to bid.
- Lomas Brown and Herman Moore have a new YouTube channel where they chat Lions football, of course. Here are their latest thoughts on the 2021 team:
- Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel chatted with “approximately 100 college coaches and assistants from all 10 of the FBS conferences” to give their thoughts on how the 2021 NFL Draft played out. Together, they created the “all-underrated team” from the draft, which included three Lions players: wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, UDFA center Drake Jackson, and defensive tackle Alim McNeill.