It wasn’t quite clear before the draft whether the Lions would go the quarterback route, selecting a rookie to develop this year as part of the rebuild. Goff said he did get to speak with Lions leadership before the draft on what they had planned. Turns out, at least for now, Goff is the guy.
“It’s a nice vote of confidence obviously for me. I think what’s not lost on me is that their first move as a staff with Brad and Dan involved me, so it’s exciting and it makes you feel good,” he said.
Goff also had some thoughts on some of the newest Lions. On offensive tackle Penei Sewell:
“I know the staff was fired up and so was I. Obviously as a quarterback anytime you get help up front that’s always good. We got a lot of solid guys up there right now and I think it’s shaping up to be hopefully one of the top groups in the league.”
On wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown:
“I was excited when I saw his name come off the board for us. I’ve seen him, just being a fan of the Pac 12, I’ve seen him over the years play there... Hopefully, we can get some work soon and really see him in person.”
Aaaaaand onto the rest of your notes.
- PFF ranks the Lions among the top 5 most improved secondaries following free agency and the draft.
- CBS Sports ranked every running back taken in the first round since 2000, see where the Lion landed.
- If Jared Goff isn’t the answer for the Lions at QB, then which 2022 prospect could it be? The Athletic’s Nick Baumgardner offers some thoughts. (Subscription required.)
- A fun look at what the “Inner Circle” fans representing the Lions were able to experience at the draft:
Last week, a group of #Lions superfans got the opportunity to represent the team as part of the Inner Circle at the #NFLDraft.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) May 6, 2021
Check out their experience, courtesy of @MillerLite #TBT pic.twitter.com/5dwcoAFBRg
- Following the draft, the Lions parted ways with three scouts. The Detroit News’ Justin Rogers has more.
- “Lions forge an identity” — these positive headlines are really something hard to get used to. Gennaro Filice for NFL.com offers more draft grades.
- Also from NFL.com: Okay, a Lions game didn’t make the top 10 games of 2021 - but one upcoming game did make the honorable mentions list.