The NFL released preseason game schedules Thursday and the Detroit Lions are sticking around Detroit for two of them.
The Lions will play two games at home and one on the road in August:
- August 13 vs. Buffalo Bills at 7 p.m. ET
- August 21 at Pittsburgh Steelers at 7:30 p.m.
- August 27 vs. Indianapolis Colts at 7 p.m.
Here’s the full list:
2021 preseason team-by-team schedule: pic.twitter.com/y9BUNgHHBF— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 10, 2021
The preseason was cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns. Now, with this year’s move to a 17-regular season game schedule, the preseason has been whittled down to three games.
There will be five nationally-televised games:
- August 5 - NFL/Hall of Fame Game, Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys, 8 p.m. ET on FOX
- August 20 - Kansas City Chiefs at Arizona Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET on ESPN
- August 23 - Jacksonville Jaguars at New Orleans Saints, 8 p.m. ET on ESPN
- August 29 - Miami Dolphins at Cincinnati Bengals, 4 p.m. ET on CBS
- August 29 - Cleveland Browns at Atlanta Falcons, 8 p.m. ET on NBC
The regular season kicks off Thursday, Sept. 9 as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers host the Cowboys. The Lions open the season against the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 12 at 1 p.m. right here in the Motor City.
Onto the rest of your notes.
- Great profile from ESPN’s Eric Woodyard on Amon-Ra St. Brown, speaking with his family on how they shaped the player he is today.
- After spending the last three years as Aaron Rodgers’ backup, new Lions quarterback Tim Boyle shares what drew him to Detroit. Mlive’s Benjamin Raven has more. (Subscription required.)
- A ranking of starting quarterbacks who were taken first overall in the draft. Both Jared Goff and Matthew Stafford are on there—one at the bottom and the other at the top.
- “It is insight into Campbell’s mind, and maybe a little sliver of the reason why the Lions set up cornhole boards in the hallway during the draft and will welcome ping-pong tables and the like back into the locker room this fall after they disappeared under Matt Patricia.” The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett takes an in-depth look at the unique ways Dan Campbell is motivating his players. (Subscription required.)
- Pictures are fun:
- Which Detroit Lion is poised to be the biggest fantasy breakout star this season? Bleacher Report has an educated guess.
- On the other hand - what are the burning questions facing the Lions? Sports Illustrated’s Conor Orr thinks it involves Anthony Lynn’s offensive identity.