I don’t think it’s a far reach to say most Detroit Lions fans are at the very least intrigued by new head coach Dan Campbell’s engaging personality.
Since introducing the phrase “biting kneecaps” into Lions lore, football fans worldwide have tuned in to what’s going here in Detroit. While some national media feel the need to take shots at Campbell’s fun demeanor — no fun allowed in Detroit!!! — others are getting on board.
NFL.com’s Adam Sheln offered nine NFL bandwagons fans should consider hopping on in 2021. Some are not that big of a stretch, including becoming a Tennessee Titans fan. With the recent addition of star receiver Julio Jones, there’s a lot to get excited about over there. Another predictable bandwagon he suggests joining is supporting Joe Burrow. The 2020 first overall pick bounced back from a heartbreaking, season-ending knee injury last November.
But coming in very last, at number nine, is the still unproven Dan Campbell himself. Though he’s making headlines here and there, he still has yet to coach the Detroit Lions in an NFL game.
“This is a future play. But I’m in. I love Campbell’s toughness and general approach. It’s contagious,” Sheln writes, echoing a very popular sentiment about the new coach.
Sheln compliments Campbell’s help in picking a strong coaching staff featuring Anthony Lynn, Duce Staley, and Aaron Glenn. The writer was particularly smitten by Campbell and Brand Holmes’ infamous reaction after getting their guy in the draft — Penei Sewell.
“Campbell and Holmes are culture-changers — and Sewell’s a culture-changing player,” he writes.
Onto the rest of your notes.
- In a Q&A with The Athletic’s Chris Burke, Brad Holmes discusses how evaluating talent has changed over time and the importance of texting his players. (Subscription required.)
- The Lions ran a pass-heavy offense in the Matthew Stafford era, but that’s expected to change under Anthony Lynn. PFF’s Seth Galina examines each teams’ offensive scheme heading into the 2021 season.
- “It’s time for the league to step in.” An interesting opinion piece from SB Nation’s James Dator on the NFL’s role in players’ vaccination status.
- Looks like Dan Campbell had a great time as the Grand Marshal of the Detroit Grand Prix this weekend:
"Drivers start your engines!"@Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell makes the command, and we're ready to roll for today's @detroitgp.— NTT INDYCAR SERIES (@IndyCar) June 12, 2021
: INDYCAR Mobile - https://t.co/vyuISIgHnX#INDYCAR // #DetroitGP pic.twitter.com/ajeD9fkRHS
A major thank you to everyone at @detroitgp for inviting @Lions HC Dan Campbell to be today's grand marshal! Thank you to @Team_Penske for the hospitality and letting Coach wear the headset on pit road. pic.twitter.com/qjWLGMWgwq— Detroit Lions PR (@LionsPR) June 12, 2021
- CBS Sports’ Bryan DeArdo each franchise’s best team since the start of the Super Bowl era. Can you guess his pick for the Lions before you click the article?
- It’s the middle of the NFL offseason. What’s the main thing we’ve learned about each team - what are they really concerned about right now? Bleacher Report’s Kristopher Knox explores the Lions’ main goals, as well as the rest of the league.