Not all new coaching situations are created equal.
Some first-year head coaches are in better situations to succeed. Are front office or business operations functioning how they should? Is there any recent history of bad blood anywhere in the franchise?
There are seven new head NFL coaches in 2021. CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora ranked each coach based on their set up for success — the team’s ownership, front office, roster, and recent history. Detroit Lions head coach Dan Campbell came in at number four.
La Canfora first reasons that because another Ford family member is in charge (Sheila Ford Hamp), Campbell and Brad Holmes have at least three years to work on righting the ship. He argues that ownership actually understands the Lions are rebuilding, while other teams on the list are still trying to be what they’re not.
The writer also points out the deep hole left by the former regime.
“There were constant issues between the staff and the locker room, and the roster is bleak. Oh, and the nebulous roles of guys like Rod Wood would make me very nervous, and Chris Spielman has no real experience as a team president,” he writes.
La Canfora finishes by saying most of these franchises have been a “horror show” for a reason: “we’re grading on a curve here, but I guess I’ll slot this here.”
And onto the rest of your notes.
- Tim Twentyman of the team’s official site examines how T.J. Hockenson has quickly become one of Jared Goff’s favorite targets, as the tight end hopefully builds toward his best season yet.
- Hope you had a nice Father’s Day. Brad Holmes recalls one particular piece of advice from his late father that he’ll never forget. The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett has that story. (Subscription required.)
- You might see a familiar name on CBS Sports Tyler Sullivan’s list of top interior linemen in the league as he ranks the best of the best along the O-line.
In case you didn't know, Alim McNeill is the team's newest musician. https://t.co/Do42OTiiR8— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) June 21, 2021
- ESPN offers a surprise standout from each team. A teaser for the Lions’ pick: “The third-year linebacker is ready to break out this year after cutting nearly 20 pounds in the offseason.”
- Some findings from Jeremy: