A few weeks ago, Detroit Lions multimedia journalist Tori Petry left the team unexpectedly, leaving a significant vacancy in Lions coverage. Nearly two months later, it appears the Lions have hired their successor. On Monday, Dannie Rogers announced she has been hired as the new Team Reporter.
“When the hometown team calls. . . you answer the dang phone,” Rogers tweeted. “I’m SO excited to say that I’ll be the Team Reporter for the Detroit Lions, the city I grew up just down the road from my entire life. Unreal to say that. Let's get to work DETROIT.”
Rogers previously spent time as the Coordinator of PR, Communications and Digital Content for the Arizona Wildcats football team, the Los Angeles Rams’ digital media intern, and also worked as a producer for the Big Ten Network, specifically with University of Michigan athletics. Here’s some of her latest work with the Wildcats:
Rogers grew up in the local Detroit area and graduated from the University of Michigan. So this local opportunity obviously means a lot to her. You can follow her on Twitter @dannierogers___ and give her a nice #OnePride welcome.
When the hometown team calls. . . you answer the dang phone— Dannie Rogers (@dannierogers___) July 19, 2021
I'm SO excited to say that I'll be the Team Reporter for the Detroit Lions, the city I grew up just down the road from my entire life
Unreal to say that. Let's get to work DETROIT @Lions #OnePride pic.twitter.com/VHoGXHjgSt
If you want to hear more from Rogers, she joined Matt Dery on the Locked on Lions podcast this week.
- Much has been made of Detroit’s lackluster defense, but Jamie Collins Sr. quietly was one of Detroit’s—and the NFL’s—best off-ball linebackers last year:
Top 10 players in run stop win rate when lined up as an off-ball linebacker, 2020.— Seth Walder (@SethWalder) July 21, 2021
(ESPN / NFL Next Gen Stats) pic.twitter.com/8YHC0L4QcW
- The fellas over at The Athletic chatted about what they learned from the college tape of the Lions’ new defensive tackles—second-round pick Levi Onwuzurike and third-round pick Alim McNeill.
- Lions legend Herman Moore has been counting down the toughest players he lined up against, and it led to this entertaining response from former Vikings All-Pro safety Robert Griffith:
- Our good friend Nate Davis of USA Today, who you may remember as the guy who caught Lions fans’ vitriol for predicting the Lions to go 3-13 in 2019 (they went 3-12-1), has his prediction for 2021. Spoiler: It’s very similar. (Freep subscription required)
- The Tigers Twitter account is still hurting from 2015 (us, too):
Now is a good time to remind you the Cowboys committed pass interference in the 2015 NFC Wild Card game and the refs missed that call.— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) July 20, 2021
- Kyle Meinke is back from vacation and is previewing Lions training camp. First up: quarterbacks.