These low expectations for Detroit hoisting the Lombardi Trophy next year aren’t crazy in a year of massive turnover. You know all about that part. But the Lions still show promise with breakout candidates like T.J. Hockenson and D’Andre Swift, cornerback Jeff Okudah expected to turn things around, and the sheer raw potential of seventh overall pick Penei Sewell. It’s promise that’s potentially keeping them out of last place in these Super Bowl odds.
BetOnline.ag is favoring the Kansas City Chiefs to win their second title in three years at +500 odds. Just behind them are the reigning champs, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at +600. The Buffalo Bills come in third at quite a jump at +1200 odds.
Back in April, Jeremy reported that BetOnline.ag released their 2021 NFL MVP odds, giving Jared Goff 80-to-1 odds to win the title.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- Training camp may be a bit more interesting for this rebuilding team with so many question marks in so many spots. The fellas over at The Athletic take a stab at the 53-man roster. (Subscription required.) Our own John Whiticar posted his roster prediction early on Monday.
- Also from The Athletic - the team is naming the best 100 players in the entire history of football each day until the season begins. Today’s pick, at No. 65, is one very special Lion. (Subscription required.)
- Get to know your new Detroit Lions quarterback a little better with some notecard questions. Spoiler alert — the man doesn’t know what a coney dog is.
- The latest in Tim Twentyman’s training camp preview series over on detroitlions.com — special teams. Mlive’s Benjamin Raven has his own camp preview on a pair of rookies who are expected to play a vital role on the defensive line.
- “This isn’t about money at all. It’s about respect. And about doing what’s right, before Johnson gets inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in two weeks.” The Detroit Free Press’ Carlos Monarrez says time is running out for the Lions to do the right thing and pay Megatron. (Subscription required.)
- I see a Lion on Pro Football Focus’s top second-year breakout candidates. I’m actually surprised he’s not closer to the top seeing as he was taken third overall.
- Ford Field is hosting a job fair on Wednesday looking for folks to fill positions such as Ushers, Ticket takers, Security, Concessions, Parking Attendants and more.