Former Detroit Lions wide receiver and absolute rising star Nate Burleson announced on Wednesday morning that his career is taking a pretty significant left turn. Burleson will be stepping down from his current role as one of four co-hosts of NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football” and joining morning news show “CBS This Morning.”
“For everybody that may be thinking I’m leaving the NFL Network, I’m not leaving the NFL Network. I’m not leaving the NFL media family. I’m not even leaving ‘Good Morning Football,’” Burleson explained. “You will see me, just not everyday sitting at the table, but I will be part of the show. I will be a part of our digital platform and our social media presence.
“But I am making a move in my career that is truly an honor. It’s rare, in this business—in an analogy of football—to go from one championship-caliber team to another, and ‘CBS This Morning’ is that.”
Ever since retiring from football in 2014, Burleson’s post-playing career has been on a meteoric rise. His infectious personality has landed him gigs as a pre-game show analyst, a correspondent on the TV show “Extra,” and he even did some live broadcasting for a game on Nickelodeon.
His latest venture should be an interesting challenge for Burleson, since it’s outside the purview of football. He will join co-hosts Gayle King and Tony Dokoupil on the CBS morning team, and is expected to join the show in September.
It's not goodbye, it's see you later.— GMFB (@gmfb) August 11, 2021
So proud of our guy @nateburleson. pic.twitter.com/tgBBAauKCf
We obviously know Burleson from his playing days with the Lions and his charismatic speech about Detroit prior to the draft. But if his character from those days stays true, we’re sure he’ll be just fine in his new role.
- It’s not quite as amazing as the Jamaal Williams mic’d up segment, but it’s still worth your time. Here’s running backs coach/assistant head coach Duce Staley mic’d up during Saturday’s scrimmage at Ford Field:
Any time they turn the lights on, it's on.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 11, 2021
Any time we hit the lines, it's on.
That's the mentality.
We had Duce Staley mic'd up as #LionsCamp took to @FordField pic.twitter.com/1DzENeI2Wm
- How much will the preseason matter in roster evaluations for Dan Campbell and the Lions front office? “It weighs a lot.” The Detroit News has the full story.
- A couple players the Lions waived ended up being claimed by teams before clearing waivers:
Texans awarded center Drake Jackson off waivers from Detroit Lions— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) August 10, 2021
We have claimed TE Jake Hausmann off waivers— New York Giants (@Giants) August 7, 2021
:: https://t.co/OlCeGiAH3K pic.twitter.com/FgWSa3hJK7
- Chris Burke at The Athletic projects the starters for Friday’s preseason game ($) and what to expect out of Detroit.
- Which Lions player would you team up with for the zombie apocalypse? Personally, I think I’m taking Grizzly Man Outdoors’ Frank Ragnow for his survivalist skills. Plus I know that midwestern kindness will never betray me in a crisis scenario:
"We can make it together. But we can only make it together."— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 11, 2021
--The Walking Dead pic.twitter.com/sxLTiMYj5G