The Detroit Lions didn’t run the ball very well in the preseason opener. Their first-round pick, Penei Sewell, arguably was responsible for a sack on the very first drive of the game. As a result, many believed the offensive line underwhelmed and could have been a bit overhyped during the offseason.
However, former NFL offensive line Brian Baldinger got his hands on the tape of the Lions’ preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills and came away with the opposite impression.
“Swell. Big V. Ragnow Jackson. Decker.. they have a chance to be special,” Baldinger tweeted out with an accompanying video breaking down film from Friday.
Baldinger’s breakdown does a good job highlighting both the good and the bad from Friday night. He astutely points out at that on one play, the right side of the line is too far behind the line of scrimmage while the left side is right on the line. But then he also shares a pancake from Frank Ragnow and a couple of perfect pass protection reps from the entire offensive line.
Watch Baldinger’s entire breakdown below.
.@Lions get to know the names up front …Sewell. Big V. Ragnow Jackson. Decker…they have a chance to be special. They need quality work and if blessed with good health…I have high expectations. #BaldysBreakdowns pic.twitter.com/6mXNwuyf5r— Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) August 18, 2021
- Bobby Price got picked on a lot during Tuesday’s practice, as he continues to transition from safety to cornerback. He talked to The Detroit News about that tough transition, and why Kalif Raymond has been the toughest receiver for him to defend.
- Penei Sewell offered his thoughts on his preseason debut, including what he’s learned and what he plans on working on.
- Dan Skipper doesn’t want you to call or text him. Just leave him alone. (Also included in the video, Will Harris singing “Call Me Maybe”
☎️ You used to call me on my cell phone... pic.twitter.com/lHxwNivVXB— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 18, 2021
- Tuesday was technically the final day of training camp, as the Lions will slowly transition to regular-season mode now. So Tim Twentyman has 10 things he learned from Lions camp this year.
- Some awful details from Alex Brown’s accident on Sunday morning:
- The duo at The Athletic Detroit has observations from Tuesday’s practice, including a fiery moment from Jeff Okudah.
- Red Wings fans, Dylan Larkin and a few other players showed up to Lions camp on Tuesday. Here’s Larkin chatting with DetroitLions.com’s Dannie Rogers:
- It was a whirlwind day for Lions legend Don Muhlbach. Before his shocking release on Tuesday afternoon, his teammates regaled him with presents for his 40th birthday, including a rocking chair: