On Thursday, the Detroit Lions’ official YouTube channel posted the sixth episode of their fantastic video series Behind the Den. The episode is nearly nine minutes long, and can be viewed in its entirety on the team’s site or on YouTube:
In addition to voiceovers and visuals from the broadcast, there is some fun footage of defensive tackle Kevin Strong mic’d up getting the team pumped before the game. Although the team didn’t have much going on in the first half, when the second half highlights kick in, you get great splice-ins of Godwin Igwebuike and Derrick Barnes from the post-game interviews reacting to their big moments.
About four-and-a-half minutes into the video, everything shifts to footage of the coaches talking about the preparation going forward from the Pittsburgh game. Lots and lots of defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, so you know it’s good stuff. Some particularly nice parts show Glenn coaching up rookies Tavante Beckett and AJ Parker on the practice field. “I ain’t never gonna stop you from making a play,” Glenn tells Parker. “Just make sure you can make that.”
To cap it off, we have offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn and head coach Dan Campbell join in with thoughts on the coaching staff and team leadership’s collaborative spirit. By the end of the video, you’ll want to join the team and find some walls to run through against Indianapolis tonight.
Now, on to the rest of today’s Notes:
- Some of the team’s top brass and players spoke at the 25th annual Detroit Economic Club luncheon at Ford Field on Thursday afternoon. MLive’s Ben Raven has the details on what was discussed and provides a number of great quotes.
- Two bits of NFL news from ESPN insider Field Yates: The Colts will be without Quenton Nelson and Eric Fisher against the Lions due to COVID protocols and former Lions running back Kerryon Johnson is officially a free agent after taking an injury settlement from the Eagles.
- The Lions have some community stuff going on for back to school:
We partnered with @meijer to surprise 32 students from @DBGDetroit recently. The students each received a $250 gift card to buy school supplies with the help of @RoaryNFL, @DETLionsCheer and Lions Legends! pic.twitter.com/LKYaQsScQ6— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 26, 2021
Additionally, they announced that Detroit Lions Charities is now the Detroit Lions Foundation. More on that change here.
- In other injury news about former Lions, defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson on the Los Angeles Rams will have knee surgery performed and may miss the start of the season. According to Pro Football Talk, he was the projected starter on defense next to Aaron Donald now that Michael Brockers is gone, so this is a serious blow to the Rams.
- Rookie linebacker Derrick Barnes is delivering on what Lions fans desperately craved when the team drafted him:
Barnes has also done this on just 33 snaps.— Erik Schlitt (@erikschlitt) August 26, 2021
He also has 5 tackles, a sack, and a hurry https://t.co/Gzm3kbQ6wE
- Fearless leader Jeremy Reisman was the featured guest on Michigan Sports Network’s “X’s and Bros” show with Anthony Bellino. You can listen to his appearance here:
- Speaking of which, you may want to check out the Associated Press’ preview of tonight’s Lions-Colts matchup. The writer’s a pretty good one.
- If you are attending the preseason game tonight, Ford Field is encouraging the use of face coverings and will provide complimentary masks to those who want them. According to MLive’s Kyle Meinke, this is just a recommendation and not a mandatory requirement for guests attending the game.