The Green Bay Packers had a horrible season opener, and while that was extremely enjoyable from a Detroit Lions fan’s point of view, there’s an overall feeling that the team is going to be just fine. Aaron Rodgers had an extremely uncharacteristically poor game, and that sort of thing usually doesn’t last long with a guy as competitive as him.
However, the Packers defensive problems may not be as excusable. Green Bay has had a poor run defense for several years now, and their new defensive coordinator Joe Barry—who you may remember as the defensive coordinator for the 0-16 Detroit Lions who had the league’s worst defense that year—hasn’t exactly inspired confidence in Lambeau.
So to talk more about what went wrong in Week 1, how many problems are serious, and how this Packers roster matches up against the Lions, we chatted with our friend Tex Western of Acme Packing Company for our First Byte preview podcast. Topics include:
- What went wrong in Week 1?
- Will Aaron Rodgers bounce back?
- How has the Packers’ reformed offensive line looked?
- What’s with all the tight ends?
- Can the Lions’ run game keep this game close?
- Will anyone be able to guard T.J. Hockenson?
- Oh god, let’s not even think about the Lions secondary right now
- One prediction for Monday
You can catch the podcast below or by subscribing to us on your favorite podcasting platform, including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or iHeartRadio. You can also catch the podcast live on our Twitch page or catch replays via Twitch or YouTube.