We could all see what happened Sunday at Ford Field, but there’s plenty going on down there on the sidelines we miss out on.
The Detroit Lions released their latest Sights and Sounds video, which offers a more intimate look at what was happening during the San Francisco 49ers game.
These segments are always neat, but I thought this one was particularly interesting for two reasons. One reason is the new Lions regime is under a microscope — not only are Lions fans watching, but the national media is tuned in on what’s happening in Detroit (for once.) What are they like as they’re calling plays and trying to get their guys motivated?
Secondly, it’s a chance to see what was actually going on during the big comeback. During last Sunday’s game, the Lions fell far behind in the first half but rallied in the second to give themselves a decent chance at staying in the game. That takes some sideline inspiration.
In the Sights and Sounds video, you can watch a mic’d up Aaron Glenn offer some passionate words to his guys.
“Y’all better than this,” he said. “You’re better than this. I’ve seen it. Every one of these coaches sees it. And you believe it. So in the next series, let’s get three and out. You understand?”
Of course you hear some fun lines from Dan Campbell, and some veteran leadership from defensive tackle Michael Brockers. You can check out the video below.
There’s also additional Campbell mic’d up moments from the NFL’s official Week 1 video. The Lions segment is from 3:25 to 7:00.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- If you got excited about Amon-Ra St. Brown from Jeremy’s article, here’s another piece from the Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett. He offers two reasons why the Packers game could be big for St. Brown.
- What should we expect Monday night? We checked in with Acme Packing Company and our very own Mike Payton checked in with them.
- The internet is loving this picture Calvin Johnson posted with Kevin Hart over on Instagram.
- With Jeff Okudah out, The Athletic’s Chris Burke takes an in-depth look at each young cornerback who is going to be put to the test. (Subscription required.)
- Love it.
Our Women in Sports segment spotlights some of the women in the #Lions organization. First up: Jen McCollum, VP of the Detroit Lions Foundation and Community Relations. @priorityhealth pic.twitter.com/YEUrpXIyPD— Detroit Lions (@Lions) September 16, 2021
- The Monday Morning Quarterback staff weighed in on who might win the Green Bay-Detroit matchup. Despite the Packers’ meltdown this week, not a single one of them is high on the Lions.