The phrase “Sewell Strong” is not just a family motto for Detroit Lions offensive tackle Penei Sewell, it’s also the name of his family’s charitable foundation. Last week, the foundation held its first luau fundraising event in Detroit, and the Lions posted a large gallery of photos from the event on the team’s official site.
Feeling the aloha! Inaugural @SewellStrong LUAU tonight at @fordfield, hosted by @outlandtrophy Winner & @Lions OT @peneisewell58 and family! #onepride pic.twitter.com/EkHet7d1Jp— COACHING CHARITIES™ (@CoachCharities) October 10, 2022
Based on the gallery of photos at the event, many current and former players were in attendance to support the event, including Lomas Brown (who spoke at the podium and was honored with the foundation’s Community MVP award), Rob Sims, and Calvin Johnson. Penei Sewell’s parents and family were there too, plus folks from the Downtown Boxing Gym in Detroit who were there to receive a generous contribution from the Sewell Foundation to back their youth programs.
Earlier this week, @peneisewell58 and his family hosted a fundraiser for his @SewellStrong Foundation, which supports several Detroit nonprofits.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 12, 2022
The event was attended by some of Sewell's teammates and other special guests. pic.twitter.com/x1beO97ceb
Great work by the Sewell family and all of the fine people at their foundation! There is already a second luau event planned for next April in Oregon to keep the giving and positivity flowing. Now, on to the rest of your weekend Notes:
- Joe Kania and our own Erik Schlitt posted a Bye week roster review episode of their Detroit Lions Breakdown podcast.
- Yes, the Detroit Lions were there to see Michigan’s offensive line obliterate everything in its path:
Scouts from the Bengals, Cowboys, Lions, Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, Vikings, Chargers, Packers and Bears all on hand for #5 Michigan and #10 Penn State @ Noon pic.twitter.com/4PFxy6sGSR— Denny Kapp (@DennyKapp) October 15, 2022
- Tim Twentyman at the official team site wrote about how the rookies are doing up to this point in the season. A new episode of Twentyman in the Huddle also went up on the official team site.
- Always lovely to see happy family news:
Congrats to the Chark family! pic.twitter.com/71UWg9zc5A— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) October 15, 2022
- Colton Pouncy and Nick Baumgardner from The Athletic posted a new (shorter than usual) episode of their Lions-focused podcast One of these Years. You can listen to it on Apple Podcasts.
- A quick hitter on the magnificence of Barry Sanders from our friend Kent Lee Platte:
Funny enough, adding splits likely raises his score even more. And he didn't have agis, which would have been amazing!— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) October 15, 2022
Barry Sanders was drafted 3rd in 1989. He scored a 9.22 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 7 out of 77 RB from 1987 to 1989. https://t.co/7FAwz4Ny6i #RAS pic.twitter.com/Qw4eSouH2W
- The NFL Votes campaign is in full swing, with the Lions’ official social media accounts posting a get out the vote message from rookie Aidan Hutchinson and a call for volunteers with league partner Vet the Vote.
- The defense makes me sad:
Highest % 3 & Outs Forced— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) October 16, 2022
1. SF 43.6%
2. PHI 43.4%
3. GB 42.0%
CHI, MIA, DET, SEA on other end of the rankings