C.J. Moore has had a tumultuous 2022 season. He started training camp on the Detroit Lions’ non-football injury list. When he returned to the practice field, it turned out to be short-lived, as he was waived/injured just a couple weeks later. After agreeing to an injury settlement with the Lions, he was released from the team, and it seemed like his three-year stint with the team had reached an unceremonious end.
But Moore, who had been a special teams stud with the Lions, wouldn’t let it end that way. Though he initially signed to the Houston Texans practice squad, when his injury settlement had expired (along with the two extra weeks required by NFL rules), Moore urged his management team to get him back in Detroit.
“Everybody was like, ‘Man, you got opportunities to go somewhere else,’ and I did,” Moore said after Sunday’s game, according to a fantastic story from Will Burchfield. “I was literally telling my agent, ‘I want to come back to Detroit,’ because I know the type of confidence we have in this locker room.”
The Lions clearly had some desire to bring him back, too, because just a week after Moore signed with the Texans, Detroit poached him from their practice squad onto their 53-man roster. That move paid off big time on Sunday when Moore converted a first down on a fake punt with an impressive 41-yard run:
Moore, who had lived through the lean times in Detroit, sensed something special with this team, this regime, and he wanted to make sure he was going to be part of it.
“Coach Dan (Campbell) and (general manager) Brad (Holmes), they’re building something so special and it’s something that I want to be a part of,” Moore said. “That’s really why I came back. You could feel it last year. We ended the season well and this season didn’t start off too well, but we’ve known it’s been here and it’s showing.”
- Here’s Amon-Ra St. Brown having a hilarious conversation with his brother about Penei Sewell’s game-sealing catch:
Jameson Williams wasn't the only #Lions player to record his first catch— The 33rd Team (@The33rdTeamFB) December 13, 2022
The big man @peneisewell58 proved he's more than just an offensive tackle @amonra_stbrown | @Equanimeous pic.twitter.com/bfpT9n0oHw
- Speaking of Sewell’s catch, it was compared to a work of art:
... and then it was turned into a literal work of art thanks to ESPN’s Mina Kimes:
- It’s Tuesday, which means it’s film breakdown day on the NFL beat. Justin Rogers has a breakdown of 10 key plays from Lions vs. Vikings, while Jeff Risdon has eight takeaways from his rewatch of the All-22.
- A couple of impressive Jared Goff stats:
I hate what I’m about to tweet, but: since Week 10, Jared Goff is 1st in positive play percentage (55.4%) among quarterbacks by a good margin, and the Lions are tied with the Chiefs for 1st in EPA/play (0.14) during that span.— Bryce Rossler (@btrossler) December 13, 2022
PFF ranks Jared Goff 24th in grade for the season (67.6)— Jeremy Reisman (@DetroitOnLion) December 13, 2022
But over the last 3 weeks, he has the seventh highest PFF grade (81.6).
- Albert Breer of MMQB had a good conversation Jared Goff, who said they knew it was “just a matter of time” before the turnaround happened.
- Look, mom, I’m on Twitter:
- Speaking of me, I was on the SB Nation “Monday Football Monday” show to talk Lions football. I’m at the very top of the show, so you don’t have to wait long: