Mitchell is a big (6-foot-4, 249 pounds), physical player who put up back-to-back 400-yard seasons for Virginia Tech before suffering an ACL injury early in the 2021 season (back in September.
Tight end was one of this team’s biggest needs going into Day 3 of the draft, as the team continues to look for a backup player behind T.J. Hockenson. Mitchell brings a nice blend of blocking and receiving ability to contend for that spot once fully healthy.
Mitchell told the media shortly after being picked that he expects to be fully cleared of the injury by June at the latest, meaning he should be ready for training camp this year.
Lions picks thus far
- Round 1, Pick 2 — EDGE Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan
- Round 1, Pick 12 — WR Jameson Williams, Alabama
- Round 2, Pick 46 overall — EDGE Josh Paschal, Kentucky
- Round 3, Pick 97 overall — S Kerby Joseph, Illinois
Lions remaining picks
- Round 6, Pick 2 (181st overall)
- Round 6, Pick 39 (217th overall)
Top remaining needs for Lions:
Safety Edge defender Wide receiver
- Tight end
- Defensive tackle