Since taking the job in January of 2021, Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes has been on a mission. Both he and coach Dan Campbell spoke about a collaborative approach that would hopefully turn the Lions into one of the best organizations in the NFL.
As we sit here in December of 2023, I would say they are well on their way to realizing that goal. At 10-4 and on the cusp of clinching their first division championship since 1993, Holmes and the rest of the organization are rightfully receiving their flowers. So much so that Scott Pioli of NFL.com named Holmes as one of his five candidates for NFL Executive of the Year.
“Holmes has routinely added the right pieces to build a playoff contender through free agency and, most importantly, the draft,” Piolo write. “A key component of Holmes’ success is that he has an aligned vision with head coach Dan Campbell. Holmes has put a premium on acquiring players who match the makeup and profile they collectively believe in.”
From taking right tackle Penei Sewell at seventh overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, finding Amon-Ra St. Brown in the fourth round, to key free agent acquisitions like Alex Anzalone, Graham Glasgow and Cameron Sutton—Holmes has been integral to transforming both the Lions’ roster, as well as their cap situation.
You can read the entire article from Pioli on his five favorites for the award here.
And now, onto the rest of today’s notes:
- Just your daily reminder that Penei Sewell is the best tackle in football. Carry on.
- Happy birthday and return to practice day for Lions’ safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson.
- If you’re looking for a more thorough recap of Gardner-Johnson’s media session from practice, Kyle Meinke of Mlive has you covered.
C.J. Gardner-Johnson was told he'd need 6 months to recover from a torn pec. 3 months later, he's ready to help Detroit win its first division in 30 years. "I might cry," he said— kyle meinke (@kmeinke) December 20, 2023
All the highlights from a wild 15 minutes with the biggest mouth in the NFL: https://t.co/ubESw5CJdu
- Rookie running back Jahmyr Gibbs is a certified playmaker.
Most 20+ yard runs this season:— PFF Fantasy Football (@PFF_Fantasy) December 20, 2023
Jahmyr Gibbs - 10 pic.twitter.com/VtPA0AIcje
- Lions’ quarterback Jared Goff has been money on tight-window throws this season. Justin Rogers of The Detroit News does a deep dive to see just how efficient Goff has been in this area.