If you are familiar with the personality of Detroit Lions’ wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, then you are probably not surprised by the fact that he really likes his head coach, Dan Campbell.
The two likely share a lot of common beliefs as it pertains to the game of football, and just three years after both arrived in Detroit, the two have been essential to the Lions’ turnaround.
"He’s the guy, man,” said St. Brown of his head coach. “His speeches are actually—I’m used to his speeches. They’re good. You think they’re OD (overdone), but I can’t imagine a different coach like, they’re probably not even close to as good as his are.”
Campbell certainly has shown his knack for capturing a locker room, with both a unique and powerful message. Take last week, for example, when he gathered all the Lions players from previous regimes together to recognize what a special moment winning the NFC North was to those players—who had been around when times were tough.
“Like I see other coaches in the winning locker room, and they’re not like Dan,” St. Brown said later. “For him, speaking, it’s natural for him. He knows how to hit the players.”
You can catch the full episode of the St. Brown Brothers podcast here.
And now, onto the rest of today’s notes:
- The Lions wrapped up their first division title in 30 years last week against the Minnesota Vikings, but that didn’t stop the Lions’ coaching staff from their usual preparations. Dave Birkett from the Free Press has the story on Detroit’s mindset moving forward.
It's the curse of coaching, and if you've ever been a coach at any level you know what I'm talking about. The Lions won a division title last week and all some of their coaches could think about was fixing their mistakes. https://t.co/Q1D3SyIkXO via @freep— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) December 28, 2023
- Lions’ center Frank Ragnow joined ‘The Insiders’ to talk about his nomination for Walter Payton Man of the Year, as well as what this season has meant for Lions’ fans everywhere.
“Lions fans, I give them credit — even through the suck, they’ve been so supportive.”— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) December 26, 2023
Pro Bowl center Frank Ragnow joined The Insiders to talk about Detroit ending its title drought, his Man of the Year nod and more.
Full episode on #NFLPlus: https://t.co/fbXWNzJoL4 pic.twitter.com/xZQOuRfVK4
- Justin Rogers of The Detroit News caught up with Lions’ defensive tackle John Cominsky to discuss the fumble recovery that almost happened against the Vikings.
I was fortunate to catch up with John Cominsky today on his botched attempt to scoop and score late against Minnesota. A good, reflective chat on his out-of-character moment. https://t.co/5IiFuYd3EU— Justin Rogers | Detroit News (@Justin_Rogers) December 27, 2023
- The Lions have turned up the pressure on opposing quarterbacks as of late, and they are doing it in some unconventional ways. Justin Rogers of The Detroit News takes a look at how the Lions’ personnel is making life easier for defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn.
- ESPN’s Eric Woodyard made an appearance on SportsCenter to discuss how well the Lions are playing this season, as well as how tough the year has been to the Detroit Pistons.
There’s some conflicting emotions going on within sports fans in Detroit with the state of the #Lions — in the best of times — and #Pistons — experiencing the worst.— Eric Woodyard (@E_Woodyard) December 26, 2023
I tried to describe those feelings today on @SportsCenter. pic.twitter.com/g2O5u7VhQ6
- Make sure you catch this week’s highlights from the Lions’ Radio Network booth as Dan Miller was present to call the NFC North clinching victory in Minnesota.
- Some NFC North champions wallpaper for your cellular devices? Yes, please.