People try to find motivation wherever they can. For some, it’s a quote in a fancy font on a poster of a sunset on the wall. For Detroit Lions rookie guard Colby Sorsdal, it’s a jersey hanging in his room.
Thanksgiving Day was a tad bittersweet for the rookie offensive lineman. In his second career start at left guard, he was benched late in the first half in the brutal 29-22 loss to the Green Bay Packers. In a one-on-one sit down with FOX 2’s Dan Miller, Sorsdal said he respected that decision from Dan Campbell and offensive line coach Hank Fraley, and it taught him quite a bit.
“I came to work the next week ready to go like ‘Hey, how do we learn from it?’” he said. “I’ve got the jersey I wore at that game in my room and I look at it everyday.”
Miller asked what the jersey says to him each time he sees it.
“Man, you gotta get better,” Sorsdal said. “Keep showing up, keep getting better.”
But just a week later, center Frank Ragnow got hurt down in New Orleans, which means Graham Glasgow moved to center. Coach called on Sorsdal to step up.
“It was special for him to come to me and be like, ‘Okay let’s go, rebound,’” he said.
Dan and Colby go on to discuss topics like what it’s like to play with one of the top offensive lines in the league and what to expect from the Bears this week. You can watch that here.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- “The Lions are working him in different looks, not to mention a ton of fourth-quarter snaps in recent weeks, signaling the growing trust in Williams.” A look and just what kind of an impact Jameson Williams has had this season from MLive’s Benjamin Raven.
- The latest episode of “Twentyman in the Huddle” features Sam LaPorta. Tim does his best to get the rookie to talk about his success, but he’s as humble as they come.
- Always fun to see things from the side — here’s a game preview from our pals over at Windy City Gridiron.
- Remember last week when Alvin Kamara was pushed out of bounds and ran into the chain gang member? Both the Saints and the RB himself have sent some gifts as he recovers from two torn ligaments and a fractured fibula.
- In case you missed it, there’s an extended version of Sights and Sounds and Penei Sewell is mic’d up.