Put some respect on Jared Goff’s name.
That’s what NFL.com’s Marc Sessler is doing with his post-Super Bowl quarterback rankings. No. 16 comes in well above his jersey number, landing at eighth overall. This is a 15-spot leap from his 2022 ranking, which was 23rd for those of you who don’t feel like math-ing.
Sessler notes that Goff was expected to have a decent year behind the Detroit Lions’ powerful offensive line, which Pro Football Focus ranked third in the league going into 2022, but not this strong of a year.
“Goff was a candidate for a sturdy campaign behind a rough-and-tumble line that planned to pound people on the ground,” Sessler wrote. “Still, nobody expected him to torch defenses for 29 touchdowns against just seven interceptions.”
They certainly did not. Looking at the past three years, Goff ended the season ranked 23rd in 2021, 22nd in 2021, and 19th in 2020. Pretty consistently below average. Sessler goes on to mention what we already know — the Lions are all-in on Goff.
“That included a nine-game pick-free streak to close the year, leaving Lions management to all but anoint the Rams castoff as their guy going forward,” Sessler concludes.
In 17 games this season, Goff racked up 4,438 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, with seven interceptions and seven fumbles. It’s a far cry from where he left off in 2021 but with offensive coordinator Ben Johnson’s new scheme, he’s found major success. Now that Johnson has decided to stay, I’m eager to see if Goff takes another giant leap in these rankings come this time next year.
I think Brad Holmes puts it best in his comments on Goff’s season below:
Brad Holmes on Jared Goff's season pic.twitter.com/IqI4IXjHdD— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 11, 2023
And onto the rest of your notes.
- A cool feature from The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett who the Lions chose the last time they had the sixth overall pick — none other than Lions legend Lomas Brown.
The Lions nailed it the last time they had the No. 6 overall pick - much to the surprise of even the player they drafted, 7-time Pro Bowl LT Lomas Brown https://t.co/7JCcdyK5h9 via @freep— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 16, 2023
- “Things are almost looking too good for the Lions.” The Lions land in the top 10 of Bo Wulf’s post-Super Bowl rankings over at The Athletic.
- “Awesome class for GM Brad Holmes.” Yeah, I’d say so. CBS Sports Chris Trapasso ranks every 2022 rookie class and the Lions land at No. 3.
- We love our friends over at Roar of the Lions UK, be sure to check them out if you haven’t.
February 15, 2023
- Writing for the 33rd Team, Barry Wilner issues his final grades for each NFC team. Once again, the Lions fare well in this list, which is a feeling I could really get used to.