At any minute, Detroit Lions free agency news could come rushing in.
Currently, teams can re-sign their own players whenever they come to an agreement with that player. However, the bigger news and rumors will begin on Monday, March 13. At noon, teams will be permitted to start negotiating with the agents of players on expiring contracts. Then, two days later on Wednesday, March 15 at 4 p.m. ET, teams can start putting pen to paper.
In other words, over the next few days, the news and rumors should be coming in at a fast pace. From a consumer’s standpoint, it can be dizzying trying to keep up. What teams have Jamaal Williams visited? Which players’ agents have the Lions spoken to thus far? Which players remain unsigned?
We’re going to keep track of it all right here in this post. Every bit of news, rumors, signings, and visits will be tracked here chronologically. And when a signing—or even an agreement to terms—happens, it’ll be logged both here and in our 2023 Detroit Lions offseason tracker. And to separate those big moments from the rest of the rumors, we will bold the bullet points of signings, trades, and agreements to terms.
We’ve already had some news trickle in. So here is your Lions 2023 free agency and news tracker.
- Lions have an interest in DL Calais Campbell, per Dan Campbell
- LB Josh Woods signed a 1-year deal with the Cardinals
- CB Amani Oruwariye signs a 1-year deal with the Giants
- CB C.J. Gardner-Johnson’s contract details have been released—and they’re very team friendly
- RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai renegotiates his contract, takes a significant pay cut, reduction in years
- LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin — Signs with the Lions, per his agent
- UPDATE: EDGE Austin Bryant — signed with the 49ers
- EDGE Austin Bryant: Bryant is visiting the 49ers, per Tom Pelissero
- Update: Hughes signs a 2-year with Atlanta
- CB Mike Hughes is visiting the Atlanta Falcons
- Jack Fox restructures his contract , saves $1.6M
- Romeo Okwara takes a $9M pay cut
- WR DJ Chark: Panthers GM Scott Fitterer says the team is still in talks with Chark. Mike Garafolo says Chark had talks about a return to Detroit over the last week.
- Lions signed long snapper Jake McQuaide to 1-year, $1.3M deal
- Lions signing DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson to 1-year deal worth $8 million.
- Long Snapper Jake McQuaide visited the Lions
- Justin Rogers of the Detroit News echoes Birkett’s comments on the Lions and Chark possibly finding a path to an agreement
- DB C.J. Moore visited Patriots on Friday
- LB Chris Board is signing a 2-year deal with Patriots worth “up to $6.7 million.”
- CB Mike Hughes is visiting the Atlanta Falcons
- According to Dave Birkett of the Free Press, a slow-developing WR market in free agency has opened up the chances of the Lions and DJ Chark reuniting
- K Michael Badgley has agreed to terms to re-sign with Lions
- LB Chris Board visiting the Patriots on Friday
- DJ Chark is visiting the Panthers on Friday, per Jordan Schultz
- Lions sign IOL Graham Glasgow to a 1-year contract
- Former Lions IOL Evan Brown signs with Seahawks
- Former Lions RB Jamaal Williams signs with Saints
- Former Lions safety DeShon Elliott signs with Dolphins
- Update: Charles Harris savings comes via $3M pay cut
- Charles Harris and Lions renegotiate contract, free up $2.82M
- RB David Montgomery — signs with the Lions for 3-years, $18M
- RB Jamaal Williams and the Lions are reportedly “far apart on a deal” according to Tyler Dunne, who notes that other teams remain interested, but everyone is waiting for the running back market to be set.
- EDGE John Cominsky — Re-signing on a two-year, $8.5M deal
- CB Will Harris — Expected to re-sign 1-year deal with Lions
- CB Emmanuel Moseley — Signing 1-year, $6M deal with Lions
- OT Matt Nelson — Re-signs with Lions
- Lions restructure Tracy Walker’s contract, create $5M in cap space
- Lions re-sign LB Alex Anzalone to a 3 year $18.75 M deal
- Lions sign CB Cam Sutton to a 3 year $33 M deal
- Lions offer tenders to 5 ERFAs
- RB Craig Reynolds — Re-signed
- DT Isaiah Buggs — Buggs signs 2-year deal worth up to $6M
- Jalen Ramsey has been traded to the Miami Dolphins for a third-round pick and tight end Hunter Long, per NFL Network. As part of the deal, Ramsey’s contract was adjusted and now he has a fully guaranteed 2-year $36.9 million deal. As with all trades, they will be processed at the start of the league new year on Wednesday, March 15.
- Evan Brown, Lions reserve interior offensive lineman, is expected to have a “healthy market.” (per Aaron Wilson)
- Lions RB Jamaal Williams interested teams have expanded from the Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers, to also include the Cincinnati Bengals and New York Jets. Some of the teams are reported to be “very interested” in signing Williams if he makes it to free agency.
- Lions OT Matt Nelson — Nelson will not receive an RFA tender from Lions (per Tom Pelissero)
- Lions DE John Cominsky — Cominsky says he’s interested in coming back to Detroit but will test the free agency market for “a few days.”
- Lions RB Jamaal Williams — Per Dave Birkett, Jamaal Williams is “ expected to garner interest from the Panthers, Buffalo Bills, and others on the open market.”
- Lions RB Jamaal Williams — Per Lions GM Brad Holmes, Jamaal Williams has been in discussions with the team during NFL Combine week to sign an extension.