Many of the 2023 NFL Draft’s top prospects could make a great fit with the Detroit Lions, according to Pro Football Focus.
PFF listed their top 32 prospects of the draft and determined that a whopping six players would complement the Lions current squad.
The first is defensive lineman Jalen Carter from Georgia, ranked second on PFF’s Big Board. A quick reminder before you read what they had to say that the Lions have the sixth overall pick.
“If Carter makes it to Detroit’s pick, he would be a perfect fit. Adding a truly dominant three-technique is the last missing piece on that young and improving defensive line.”
Then—a quarterback just two spots later. Kentucky’s Will Levis comes in at No. 4 on PFF’s ranking and they say he could be an option in Detroit.
“Who knows if something like this would happen, but the Lions having the sixth overall pick makes it possible. I love the idea of Levis sitting behind Jared Goff for at least a year while learning from offensive coordinator Ben Johnson.”
The third recommendation is wide receiver Quentin Johnston from TCU, who’s ranked No. 9 on their big board.
“The Lions already have a stud in Amon-Ra St. Brown, who can play a lot of different spots but is a killer slot receiver. Johnston would give them an athletic X receiver on the outside.”
Interesting thought as the Lions mull over resigning free agent DJ Chark and how to use Jameson Williams this upcoming season.
Whatcha think about these suggestions? They offer three more but I don’t want to give away everything. You can read it here with a subscription to PFF’s premium content.
And onto the rest of your notes.
- Detroitlions.com’s Tim Twentyman compiled a few mocks that may have been adjusted after the NFL Scouting Combine, illustrating how the results likely impacted predictions for what the Lions will do in the draft.
- SB Nation’s James Dator ranked Jamaal Williams fourth among the top free agent backs on the market. He also explains where Williams may be a perfect fit, and it isn’t in Detroit.
- PFF also ranked Williams as the fourth-best running back option in free agency.
- Yet another on Williams, this one from NFL.com analyst Maurice Jones-Drew, who explains what would make Swagg Kazekage a bust or a boom, offering ceiling and floor scenarios.
- The Lions out here doing great work!
RECAP: Last week, the #Lions teamed up with @BCBSM for the 7th annual NFL Tackle Reading event. We visited Davison Elementary School in Detroit for classroom giveaways and a reading assembly to promote literacy. pic.twitter.com/y54Ql8UlYy— Detroit Lions (@Lions) March 9, 2023
- Are you one of those people who can’t get enough content about Aaron Rodgers leaving the NFC North? Great, here’s more from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.
- More from Sports Illustrated — Gilberto Manzano offers a list of one free agent each team should sign. Hint: the Lions should sign a cornerback from Florida.
- Ok everyone wish me a late Happy International Women’s day great thanks (but really this female-themed playlist from the Lions DJs is awesome.)
It's International Women's Day!— Detroit Lions (@Lions) March 8, 2023
Celebrate with a playlist put together by @Djrayyadig and special guest collaborator @DJMyint!
Listen now: https://t.co/IMy3u56HQS pic.twitter.com/A4aTeVo46Q