As national media outlets from all over the country have made their way to Allen Park this summer, more people are becoming more aware of who Detroit Lions’ coach Dan Campbell really is. And yes, I mean beyond the kneecap jokes. Campbell spoke to WXYZ Detroit’s Brad Galli about expectations, his caffeine intake, and how his family helps keep him grounded.
“Honestly, my wife will send me something, or (Lions director of football communications) Eamonn (Reynolds) will send me something that somebody wrote, or this or that,” said Campbell of writers recognizing he is actually a really brilliant football mind. “And ya know, there’s the kneecap joke come out. And honestly, none of it bothers me. The positive, the negative—I don’t really care because I know who I am. I’m very comfortable in my skin.”
Campbell would go on to talk with Galli for over seven minutes, and would touch on topics such as his relationship with his former coach Bill Parcells, his wife and daughter giving him a hard time, his workout routine, and more.
You can watch the entirety of the interview here:
INTERVIEW: Dan Campbell and the Lions are not shying away from expectations.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 22, 2023
We discussed the team taking the Next Step, how his wife and daughter keep him in check, and why being himself is a key to leading an NFL team — caffeine and workout habits included. pic.twitter.com/6wl5xJmzCt
And now, onto the rest of today’s notes:
- In the collaboration you didn’t know you needed, Flavor Flav was gifted a turntable from the Lions, and evidently—will be at the home opener. The summer of the Lion continues.
- If you’re a card collector, the NFLPA terminated its agreement with Panini, with Fanatics now the
The NFLPA has terminated its trading card agreement with Panini, effective immediately.— Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) August 21, 2023
Fanatics now holds exclusive rights to produce NFLPA-branded trading cards.
Email was just sent out informing contract advisors of the decision: pic.twitter.com/FGK3lBGHSn
- I think Lions’ safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson enjoys talking trash just as much as we enjoy listening to him talk it.
Ooooooou THIS WHAT YALL WANT https://t.co/1ughlNtYo9— C.J. Gardner-Johnson (@CGJXXIII) August 21, 2023
- Check out some photos from the Lions’ inter-squad scrimmage—
Scrimmage vibes— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 22, 2023
- Happy (now belated) birthday to Lions’ rookie linebacker Jack Campbell.