When you hear coaches speak about a player’s abilities, one thing that is sure to come up is how versatile their skillset is. Can they play multiple positions? And in most cases, if the answer is yes, it’s usually a big positive.
However, there are rare instances in which that versatility can actually work against a player. Just ask Detroit Lions’ offensive lineman Graham Glasgow. Justin Rogers of The Detroit News spoke with Glasgow ahead of Detroit’s Week 3 matchup at home against the 2-0 Atlanta Falcons.
Because Glasgow can play all three interior offensive line positions, the Lions’ coaching staff routinely asked him to replace All-Pro center Frank Ragnow as he continues to nurse a long-term toe injury. And at first, the University of Michigan grad wasn’t really crazy about it, and he let the Lions’ coaching staff know about it.
“I’ll tell you, I let them know how I felt about it and I was not filtered either,” Glasgow said of his communication with offensive line coach Hank Fraley and others. “Some places might hold it against you, but I don’t think that’s the way it is here. I think they understood why I felt jilted, in a way, and I think that they didn’t really push me on it too much. They weren’t asking me to be chipper about it, which was fair.”
You can read the entirety of Rogers’ story on Glasgow here.
Had a good, honest conversation with Graham Glasgow today about his frustrations with how his camp battle for a starting job played out and his excitement to (likely) start on Sunday against Atlanta: https://t.co/pVzOlvWFUH— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) September 21, 2023
And now, onto the rest of today’s notes:
- It’s early, but John Niyo of The Detroit News believes these next two games will be a big test of the Lions’ depth ($).
Jared Goff did his fake so well after handing the ball off that Darnell Taylor thought he had a huge sack. But he actually got one of the latest hits you'll ever see lol pic.twitter.com/ia5SgxjkJm— Nate Tice (@Nate_Tice) September 19, 2023
- What the Falcons are saying ahead of their trip to Detroit.
Week 3 opponent: What the Falcons are saying https://t.co/KoUbcUDkBl— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) September 20, 2023
- It certainly sounds like the Lions’ defense understands the challenge they will be facing this week with Atlanta rookie running back Bijan Robinson.
#Lions DL Alim McNeill says Bijan Robinson is "impressive" and has "shades of other RBs that you've watched in the past."— Eric Woodyard (@E_Woodyard) September 20, 2023
"It's gonna be somebody I like to watch and not play against I would say that," he said. "But when we play this week, it's gonna be a challenge for sure."
- Brian Baldinger with a breakdown on how the Seattle Seahawks were able to mitigate having two backup tackles in the lineup during their Week 2 win over the Lions.
- The St. Brown brothers dropped the newest episode of their podcast, and got into topics like which brother is the favorite among their parents.