Detroit Lions quarterback Jared Goff has been excellent for the team this year. He currently ranks fifth in the NFL in passer rating, fourth in QBR, and fourth in PFF grade. But on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, he had two of his worst moments as a Lion: an interception which he called “the worst ball I’ve ever thrown,” and a post-touchdown attempt at jumping in the crowd that failed miserably.
Jared Goff trying to jump up to the fans is comedy haha— Nash (@NashTalksTexas) September 24, 2023
Man was feeling himself after that rushing TD pic.twitter.com/XMWtuUQvrm
Goff, having just scored the first rushing touchdown of his Lions career to put the team up three scores late, couldn’t contain his excitement. However, he also couldn’t lift himself much off the ground.
As if that video isn’t funny enough, the entire moment was captured in a mic’d up moment from NFL Films’ “Inside the NFL” show. Check it out below in the top left box:
“My jump was horrible,” Goff is seen telling backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. “Watch me jump. Hey, I tried. I jumped, and then I had to jump again.”
Always nice to have a quarterback who is willing to poke a little fun at himself.
- It’s Tuesday, which means it’s film breakdown day. Here are the best offerings from other outlets. Justin Rogers of the Detroit News breaks down how the Lions shut down Bijan Robinson, Colton Pouncy of The Athletic focuses on the Lions’ rookies, and All_22_Films’ YouTube page has a breakdown of Jahmyr Gibbs’ performance.
- Some other fun clips to enjoy from Sunday:
Hook this to my veins pic.twitter.com/wsgwwEaujH— JP Acosta (Pug Dederson Stan Acct) (@acosta32_jp) September 25, 2023
Tried cutting him, scooping him, doubling him, running away from him. He blew it all up. pic.twitter.com/5lJLr2RouC— Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) September 25, 2023
.@Lions @aidanhutch97 & @BrianBB_1 the stars of a new “Action TV Series” Branch & Hutch. They were everywhere keeping the @AtlantaFalcons out of both endzones #OnePride #BaldysBreakdowns pic.twitter.com/ZsUt5KOa6O— Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) September 25, 2023
- Cool story here from Justin Rogers: Ifeatu Melifonwu is using Tom Brady’s TB12 training program to improve his game.
- The Lions’ biggest offensive play from Sunday was a borrowed concept that has seen some success in the past. Watch three almost identical plays here:
Ben Johnson.. Kyle Shanahan.. Matt LaFleur..— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) September 25, 2023
Copy Cat league.
OZ Split Flow action, Half roll, Boot away... TE Corner-Post with crosser underneath. Beautiful concept. pic.twitter.com/0X3Zpu5oNw
- Colby Sorsdal grew up with a jersey of Falcons defensive end Bud Dupree. On Sunday, Dupree offered him his “welcome to the NFL” moment. Fun story from Dave Birkett here.
- Ben Raven of MLive breaks down the snap counts and PFF grades for the Lions vs. the Falcons.